Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage certificate

Hello,

I have read the message, started yesterday, by Gill D. concerning marriage certificates.
    My query relates to a marriage certificate, of which I have a copy, that has been written by a member of GRO but I would like to see the original certificate.
    Is there any way it would be possible to inspect the actual certificate to compare signatures etc.?

Kind regards
    Sue

If it was a church marriage, you might be able to find online images of the parish register, depending on the date.
    Your other alternative is to buy a copy of the entry held at the local register office - many of these are now held centrally at a regional office within the relevant county. They have the relevant paperwork for all civil registration marriages.
    At church weddings, two registers are signed; one remains with the church and the pages from the other are sent to the local registrar's office. The couple, and witnesses, sign both of these. You would need to explain that you want a photocopy of the original and NOT a transcription.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay,

Just a minor complication in that the marriage was conducted by a C. of E. Incumbent at St. Mark's Church, Alexandria, Egypt in 1944.
      I have tried contacting St. Mark's Church but with no success but would GRO have a copy of the original?

Sue

Comment

Hi Jay,

I've contacted GRO to request a photocopy of the original certificate. I was told because the marriage took place abroad the original is not held by their office just the details as supplied by the Church and UK Foreign and Overseas Register of British Subjects.

I thought this fact might be of interest if anyone else needed a photocopy of a certificate issued away from UK.

Thanks for your suggestion ad help.
        Sie

Comment

Hi Guy,

Many thanks for your response.

I appreciate the turmoil and upheaval that Egypt has suffered over the years, however for the past 10 years I've tried to locate details of my late father's family (I have previously posted details on this site and have received many suggestions and advice).

Over the years I have written many letters to an address in Alexandria including several to St. Mark's Church but have received no replies. I have contacted the Embassies etc. but with no luck, then I read the entry concerning photocopies of marriage certificates so my interest was then ignited!!!! I have a GRO copy of the marriage certificate but wanted to compare the handwriting of the 'bride', which I felt would be visible on the original certificate.

Never mind, c'est la vie ………

Sue

Comment

Working...
          X