1800's Bengal India records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1800's Bengal India records

I have found ancestors that lived and died in India in the late 1800's, is there a website that has free access or has anyone access to records, I'm unsure at present whether military related but it was a very bloody time in India. Can anybody help please. Thanks in advance

William Charles Sharplin born in Bermondsey 1842.
    Married multiple times in India before dying in Bantra, Bengal on the 24th July 1895. Is there anyway of finding out if he was a civilian or in the forces.

Comment

William Charles was a mariner, son of William Charles Sharplin, according to 2 marriage register entries.

He was recorded in 1861 census as William Sharplin, boy 2nd class on the Chesapeake.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Characteristics and career details for this Victorian era Royal Navy vessel.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-10-18, 17:03.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have you tried the collections on Family Search?
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

On FMP

Married 1876, 1877, 1879,1886. He was recorded as a Mariner on x 3 occasions. On the marriage record for
            1879 Chief Officer, Hooghly Bridge

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 25-10-18, 19:19.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia, would you please refresh my memory as I have Fibromyalgia and have problems remembering stuff, wheres family search, appologies for my forgetfulness

Comment

Thanks Vera for your much appreciated input.

Comment

Family Search is the Mormon site, but the actual collections can be trusted, the member-submitted records can be very iffy.

You have to join now, but it is free, and the site seems very safe.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

or this one for the collections .......

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Findmypast.co.uk has the british in india collection, which is probably what you want. It isn't complete, but mostly is for the 19th century as i understand it.

Comment

You might try the website of Families in British India Society which contains details of all British residents etc from approx 1600 to the 1900's. The site was free the last time I visited, and

contains a wealth of information about life in British India.

Details of personal research services for Members unable to access records due to distance or disability and advice service for members and non-members.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks Grumpy for the info, unfortunately it's now a subscribed site

Comment

Is this guy one and the same person?

Comment

Snowy white, whilst the full details can only be accessed by members, if you scroll down a bit you can still search for some records for nix. How much is obtainable I am not sure of. Cheers.
                            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Justval
                              Yes it is Thanks, that's great thank you

Comment

Do you have the causes of death and burial dates for the wives, or do you need these posting?

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I need them posting please if you would janet

Thanks

Comment

Victoria Ann nee Edwards aged 21 years died & bur 19 Feb 1877 died of puerpal convulsions St Stephen’s burial ground Kidderpore

Maria Connong nee Moran aged 28 yrs died 13 Sep 1878 puerpal fever bur 14 Sep St Stephen’s burial ground Kidderpore

Caroline Alice Briggs nee Gates aged 32 yrs 9 months died 16 Apr 1886 of acute dysentery bur Military burial ground Calcutta 17 Apr 1886

I think wife 4 may have remarried

THINK I've got it right.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-10-18, 18:35.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Janet, yes no4 did remarry

Comment

Working...
                                      X