Proposed changes (for the worse) to Australian marriage certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed changes (for the worse) to Australian marriage certificates

I've just received the following e-mail from official NSW transcriber Marilyn Rowan:

The Attorney General's Department is proposing changes to the Notice of Intended Marriage form.

The proposed form DOES NOT INCLUDE provision for parent's names, occupation NOR current address of the Bride and Groom.

This is vital information for Family History research.

Feedback is being invited until 28th October 2018.

Please add your voice to the consideration of this important matter.

Email: marriagecelebrantssection@ag.gov.au

I've e-mailed my own objection, and asked if the feedback period can be extended.

how awful, will make things very hard, hope they will be cheaper as there is less to write .

Comment

I'm a bit confused. Is this actual marriage certificates or just the 'intention' to marry? Don't think we even have a form for that in the UK (surprisingly!)
      Anne

Comment

I'm not sure how it works, but I assume that the information in the "intention to marry" form is transferred to the cert.

Comment

This appears to be the current form:

and it says
          The authorised celebrant to whom the Notice is given sends the Notice to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages of the State or Territory in which the marriage takes place, after the marriage ceremony. The Registrar uses the information in the Notice to register the marriage.

Comment

The latest "Lost Cousins" newsletter has a bit more information including links. It looks like the new form will flow through to the actual official marriage certificate.

I have submitted my objection today.

Comment

Working...
            X