Some People make me so mad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some People make me so mad

About a month ago I contacted somebody ,who has the same people in her tree.
    She had the wrong death date for somebody, I knew it was wrong as that was a man of 40 the one we wanted was a child.
    I then spent ages looking for the right one, and it had been grossly mistranscribed.
    I informed her, and she said that looked likely ,and she would send for the cert, I said I would go halves, and would she let me know when it arrived, yes she said, but she was going on holiday, and would let me know when she got back.
    Been on Ancestry, and lo and behold, she has all the details from the cert, and not even bothered to let me know, so I have copied all her info.;D
    Considering she had the wrong one, and would probably still have , I think she is downright selfish.
    I get very despondent sometimes.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-10-18, 00:10.

I have had a similar experience on a couple of occasions too with Ancestry. Researching the same people and giving supported information to a couple of people, only to find that they have updated their trees and then not so much as a thankyou! It doesn't take much to send a message with that simple "thank you".

Comment

I have been a bit frustrated recently too. Someone contacted me to ask about my gg grandfather and his mother. The contact is in Australia and mentioned close family to gg grandfather's brother who used to reminice about the family. I was so excited but sadly she has never got back to me. I am able to give lots of info, which is what she was asking for and hoped for a few nuggets of 'memories' in return. Don't know why she bothered asking in the first place!

Still ..... people are all different and we don't know how their lives are running. Maybe they just can't do it at the moment.
      Anne

Comment

There has been lots of times, I gave info and never got a thing back, its made me cautious.

Comment

Same here Val. OK, I have been doing my family history for more than 40 years now, so inevitably I know more than a newby. But they never ever give me ANY information at all and it does start to grate! Only twice have I had a real exchange of information - one was a married in on a very distant twig and we have no blood relationship. The other was an unknown third cousin, who gave me loads of info and some wonderful photos. Not much when you count up how many relatives I have helped.

OC

Comment

OC there are 15 people with my 3 X Great Grandfather on Ancestry, all have the wrong Death date and Wife's maiden name.
            Some have obviously copied each others tree, one was a good contact I thought, but she let me down, and I dont intend telling her ,where she and the others are wrong.
            Might sound childish but I dont care.;D

Comment

Oh Val, you should see how many people have my poor Mary Trafford in their tree! They are all descended from her, which is a miracle really, as she died aged 4. That information is in the baptism register and in the burial register and it is on family search as well. But does anyone believe me, or even go and have a look at family search? Nope. Because, guess what, 23 other people have her in their tree so they must be right and I must be wrong! None of them can provide me with the date of her marriage though!

Grrrrr.

OC

Comment

I can't count the number of trees who have a major part of my paternal tree wrong, because there was a second marriage, and they have never bothered to find the first marriage.

I can no longer be bothered to correct them because a) there are so many people chasing that family, and b) everyone else has the information so they must be right and I must be wrong even though I have bought the certificates to prove it!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

its so satisfying to find the right info isn't it, its amazing how many people, have the most ridiculous facts in their tree.
                  Now tonight has restored some of my faith, had an email from a contact who has a match in his DNA with somebody connected with our tree, been looking for this person for ages ,so excited.

Comment

That's lovely Val, hope that you share lots of stories.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

To all of the above, that's why I do not use ancestry.

Comment

Oh, it's not just ancestry, it's anywhere there's an online tree!

OC

Comment

Looks good Julie have already ordered the marriage cert ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X