John hooper franklin 1824-1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John hooper franklin 1824-1896

Is it possible for someone to check passenger records for the above name migrating to America.
    He was born in Seend, Wiltshire in 1824, had a son George Franklin born in 1855 in Seend, Wiltshire, then all I have is that he died in Newark, Ohio at the age of 72 on the 19th Feb 1896.No wife's details at all and do not know any travelling details, any help please, thanks

This is the birth registration for George from the GRO Index

FRANKLIN, GEORGE mmn RAWLINGS
    GRO Reference: 1855 M Quarter in MELKSHAM Volume 05A Page 107

This is the only marriage I can find for a Franklin / Rawlings in the area ........ but is it YOUR John, as this one has no middle name!

Marriages Dec 1844 (>99%)

FRANKLIN John Melksham 8 641
    RAWLINGS Susanna Melksham 8 641

There must be more children, and you would have to check the censuses to see if this is indeed your John.

There are several Public Family Trees on ancestry that have John Hooper Franklin, but they all seem to be one horrendous mess, with all sorts of mixed up records.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I don't know whether you have this, but I found it while searching ......

Wiltshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1916

John Hooper Franklin
      Birth: 14 Apr 1824
      Baptism: 24 Nov 1826
      Baptised Westbury, Wiltshire, England
      Father: Edward Franklin
      Mother: Mary Franklin

from image:-
      Father occupation:- Banker
      Address:- Westbury

Baptised same day were ...........

sister Mary Hooper, born 9 June 1819
      brother Edward Adolphus, born 8 June 1821
      sister Elizabeth Ann, born 8 August 1826
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

from FMP, Newspapers

John Hooper's marriage in Ohio on the 3rd of May 1849 (ult. meaning the previous month)

4 June 1849 - Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Birmingham

MARRIED.—On the 3d ult., at Trinity Church, Newark, Ohio, Mr. John Hooper Franklin, son of Edward Franklin, Esq., banker, to Elizabeth Spurrier, youngest daughter of the late John Heeley, Esq., formerly of Walsall

I wonder if these two are John Hooper's father and grandfather or uncle (his mother was called Mary Hooper). They are bankers .........

13 July 1831 - Derby Mercury - Derby, Derbyshire, Engla

BANKRUPTS, from the Gazettes of July 5 and 8.
        John Hooper and Edward Franklin, WVcstbury, bankers, July 22, 23, Aug. 19, at the Black Bear Inn, Devizes. Solicitor, Mr. Tilby, Devizes.

29 December 1831 - Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette -

TROWBRIDGE. FREEHOLD MILL To be SOLD by AUCTION, by MR. STRODE, direction of the Assignees of John Hooper, Edward Franklin, and John West, Bankrupts, and with the consent the Mortgagee, at the George Inn, Trowbridge, on Friday the 6th day of January 1832 at two o'clock

Comment

1860 US Census

First name(s) Last name Gender Age Birth year Birth place
          John Franklin Male 36 1824 England
          Elizabeth Franklin Female 36 1824 England
          Mary Franklin Female 9 1851 Ohio
          Edward Franklin Male 7 1853 Ohio
          John H Franklin Male 4 1856 Ohio
          Rebecca Cramer Female 14 1846 Ohio

Looking at the image:-

John:- Banker; Value of Real Estate $16,000; Value of Assets $5,000

Rebecca is a Servant

Comment

His grave site is on Find A Grave,

and underneath the photo is this .........

Family Members
            Spouse

Photo
            Elizabeth Heeley Franklin
            1824–1915

with the following ..

Dau: of John & Hannah(Spurrier)Heeley

Children of John H and Elizabeth ...

Photo
            Mary Franklin Thomas
            1851–1932

The photo for Mary is a copy of the newspaper obituary, in which it says she is the last of her generation.

There are a number of other Franklin graves in that cemetery

and Edward S Franklin born 1853 died 1921, no further information, but ?? he was the son of John H and Elizabeth

John Heeley Franklin born 1856 died 1901

In view of the way that Elizabeth's parents were shown, I suspect she was born before the marriage of her mother to her father.

Comment

Elizabeth Spurrier Heeley was baptised 09 Feb 1825 Saint Matthew,Walsall, Staffordshire

Daughter of John Heeley and Hannah Spurrier

John and Hannah married in 1807

so my suggestion in the previous post was wrong!

I don't see how George born 1855 in Seend Wiltshire can also be John Hooper Franklin's child!

Comment

Working...
              X