lives of the first world war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lives of the first world war

I came across this site today. I thought it sounded good so joined and tried to add details of my grandfather but I am finding it very difficult to add details. I have his birth and death dates and his marriage date but they want you to upload images of certificates. I tried to add links from bmd for his death and marriage but cant work out how to do it..............
    Has anybody else joined and did you have success?

I have put up details for 17 so far - am working through my family, husband's and friends'. Think it is important that these are kept by IWM.

You don't have to upload the images - just the reference where you have found the info, eg census (RG13/---/--/-- Nat Archives via Ancestry) parish register St X (Ancestry).

Search for Sapper Albert G Heathorn No 70098 - it may help to see what I've added for him. I have found they sometimes attribute facts to the wrong external source, but at least they are there!

Hope that's some help.

Carol

Comment

thank you. I havent yet been back to it as I didnt have much success but it did seem like a good idea. I will give it another go

Comment

I see that you can search their records for £6/month subscription.

Does anybody know if the records that they have are more complete than that from other subscription services such as Ancestry and Find My Past?

Thanks!

Comment

I haven't used the site for search purposes, only for adding bits and pieces about several men.
          If you click on the records tab on the home page, you will be able to view the various lists of what they offer - this includes census 1881 - 1911 only and the GRO indexes. There is also a list of military databases - many of these can already be accessed on Ancestry & find my past, and if you belong to the sites, then you can also view the relevant images.
          I suggest that before subscribing, you look down the lists of what data is available and then look to see if it is available elsewhere, on one of the two big pay sites. Anything else, do a name check and search. IF you feel there are records you must have and can't access anywhere else, make a list and then see if a one month sub only is available (as opposed to a yearly sub which works out at £6 per month) In which case, if you have several bits of information which you can find out, then a £6 sub for one month is probably worthwhile.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-10-18, 16:00.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I didn’t delve into the site very thoroughly, just looked to see what they had on my paternal g/father.
            Not that much I am afraid, seeing as I have his complete service documents as well as having lived with him as part of the family until he died in 1951.
            Just seem to feel that there are better sources out there at the moment, although as the site matures it could be worth while for a look every now and then.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
            X