Transported convicts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transported convicts

Good morning, I'm looking for someone that can access records, as I'm trying to find out if there were any persons with the surname WHITE convicted and transported from a small Wiltshire village called Edington, any names and birth dates would be brilliant. I new of one man by the name of Burgess that was sentenced at Salisbury so I don't know if this was the main county court. Any Help would be very much appreciated, thanks Nick.

Too vague.....do you have info re gender/ first name/ date of transportation? Browse this free site -it may have what you need.
    Community driven database of convicts brought to Australia between 1787 and 1867.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks for your advice I will check it out. Any free sites more than welcome. I've no Christian names atm just the surname of White, just fishing to see if there were any dodgy characters in Edington.

Comment

I know Leonard Burgess from Edington was charged with housebreaking and was sentenced to life in NSW Australia. Being transported aboard the convict ship HOOGHLEY which set sail on the 25th July 1834. One of the other passengers aboard was a one James White from Wiltshire, is there anyway I can find out where they were from or where their crime was committed. I know it's a long shot but the WHITE and BURGESS families were very intertwined at that time.

Comment

Don't know if this helps, but the James White you mention was convicted of stealing wood 31 Dec 1833 and sentenced to 7 yrs, transported to NSW on the 'Hooghley', departing 25 Jul 1834, arriving 18 Nov 1834. He was a native of Wiltshire, b. 1797. He was Protestant, married, with 5 sons and 1 daughter. He was a farm labourer/ shepherd. He was literate, had served a previous conviction of 18 months. He was 5 ft 3.5 inches tall, ruddy complexion,brown hair, blue eyes, small scar on back of right hand. Gained his certificate of freedom in July 1841.

So far, I've not found when he died. Another useful free site is https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Beverley

Comment

Don't forget the LDS free site for BDMs..... www.familysearch.org

Records for Edington are available there
            Last edited by Macbev; 01-10-18, 19:01.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks that's really interesting could you tell me where you found this information about James White.

Comment

Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 [database on-line] had info on sentencing in 1834, Reakes, J., comp. Australia, Convict Index, 1788-1868 [database on-line], Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, 1788-1842 gave info re age, occupation, transportation, physical description, marital status etc.

Your local library may have free access to Ancestry. If you specify 'Australia' for the collection you wish to search, and put 'James White + Hooghley' in your search terms, you should get all the available convict data bases relating to this man...convict musters, ticket of leave, sentence expiry.
                Using 'UK & Ireland' as the collection to search, and 'James White b. 1796' should find his criminal convictions in England. Too early, alas, to find him on a census, but it may be possible to track down his family - unless they decided to join him in Australia

Beverley

Comment

That brill thanks for the help ??

Comment

Using the same set of records, Leonard Burgess, a carpenter and wheelwright (tolerable!), was also married, with a son and a daughter. He was convicted for housebreaking, but had no previous criminal record. There is a tree on Ancestry which says he was the son of William Burgess and Hannah Gerish, born Edington 16 Mar 1807.

Beverley

Comment

Found a write up in the paper about him
                      Attached Files
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine I don't think he was a White from Edington, that was a shame. Anyway must keep searching

Comment

Working...
                        X