FreeBMD extended beyond 1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBMD extended beyond 1983

Has anyone else noticed that FreeBMD have started to add records for 1984 and 1985? So far, there are only 14 deaths for 1984 and 7963 deaths for 1985 (no births or marriages), but the coverage charts for births marriages and deaths have all been extended up to 1989, so it looks like more records are coming.

My understanding was that the old hard-copy index was discontinued once electronic records commenced in 1984, but perhaps there was a transitional period when both indexes were maintained?

Also noticed that the FreeBMD index still only gives you the quarter of registration after 1983, whereas the electronic index has the month of registration. However, the volume and page number seem to be the same.

E.g:

Ancestry (based on electronic index?):

Name: Leonard Frederick Ailwood
    Birth Date: 14 Mar 1907
    Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1985
    Registration district: Ashford
    Volume: 16
    Page: 167

FreeBMD:
    Deaths Mar 1985
    AILWOOD LEONARD FREDERICK - 14MR1907 - ASHFORD 16 167

So, you still get slightly more information from the electronic version (i.e. month of registration rather than quarter).

Comment

It's not so long ago that I would only use FreeBMD for events up to the 1940s. The coverage charts show they now have almost 100% coverage up to (and past) 1980.

Hopefully the difference in the registration month doesn't affect the ordering process!
      Elaine

Comment

Working...
      X