Confused.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused.com

Ok this could get interesting as I'm researching Sarah white born on 5-3-1820 in edington who married James scammell in Edington on the 15-6-1843. Ok here we go lol
    According to 1851 census they were living with her uncle Humphrey White. And the couple's 4 children Ann 7, Philip 5, Alfred 3 and Charles 1, were living with George White.
    Now I think George is Sarah's Father but on the census the children are referred as nieces and nephews with the surname of White not Scammell. I know the children are correct as I've checked the 1861 census and the first 4 children all tally up, so any thoughts. Thanks

My thoughts are - a mistake by the enumerator when he copied out the information. I have quite a few instances of this where the wrong surnames were "assumed" by the enumerator.

OC

Comment

Cheers OC, they certainly don't make it easy, its bad enough there's plenty of Whites and cousins marrying cousins

Comment

Did you check the image, or only go by the transcript??

The modern transcribers can also make mistakes!

But I agree with OC that a mistake by the enumerator.

OR could she have had a brother also called George and the children are living with him???????????
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

He's too old to be a brother as he 86, and so far I've only found two other sisters.

Comment

They aren't necessarily living there. The census records where everyone was at midnight which doesn't mean they lived there permanently.

OC

Comment

Working...
            X