Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungarian records - any ideas?

Hi all,

A new lady turned up at our family history group at the library this morning. Her maternal line should be straightforward enough. However, her dad will prove more of a challenge - Jozef RAGONCSA, Hungarian, Roman Catholic, born 1929, married here in Lancashire in 1961, died in Lancashire 2004. He arrived in England, possibly during WW2, but information is decidedly sketchy.
    I've told her that if she gets the 1961 marriage cert it should give his father's name and occupation. I'm hoping she will decide to get it but it's early days for her as yet.

In the meantime - any ideas as to possible ways forward?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Presumably he would also have naturalization records?

Here's familysearch's wiki page for Hungary:
    Guide to Hungary ancestry, family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

I hope he reads & speaks Hungarian?

I seem to remember that Ancestry also had Hungarian records.

I would also wonder if the church that he attended, or the community that he lived in, would have write ups, articles or records.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-09-18, 16:21.

Comment

I think that many Hungarian records were destroyed in the uprising, unfortunately, although there may be pockets of records which escaped.

OC

Comment

I've just had a quick of Naturalization records on TNA - nothing.
        I wonder if he might have come over as a refugee as a result of the 1956 uprising?

I won't see the daughter again for two weeks but will email her to ask if she knows whether her dad ever had a British passport.

And no - she doesn't speak/read Hungarian.
        Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 20-09-18, 18:10.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          And no - she doesn't speak/read Hungarian.
          Christine
          Oh, dear.
          It looks like Ancestry has Hungarian RC baptisms up to 1895. I think you can see catalog info without a sub:

FS has these:

Hungary Baptisms, 1734-1895

Hungary Civil Registration, 1895-1980

Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895

Hungary, Catholic Church Records, 1636-1895

Hungary, Jewish Vital Records Index, 1800-1945

Dunno how she gets around the language issue, tho.

Comment

Here's another possibility of perhaps his father.

Record set: New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals
            First name(s): Jozsef
            Last name: Ragoncsa
            Role: Passenger
            Others: Departure port relation (WIFE): Jozsef Ragoncsa, Arrival port relation (ACQU): Janos Vailer
            Sex: Male
            Birth year: 1870
            Nationality: Hungary, Magyar
            Residence: Tekes, Hungary
            Year: 1909
            Departure port: Fiume
            Arrival place: New York
            Ship name: Slavonia

Comment

A tree on My Heritage.......I'm not a member so I cant see it.

elsie ragoncsa (born worsley) was born on month day 1938, at birth place, to albert worsley and elsie worsley (born trafford).
              elsie was born on 7 SEP.

elsie married jozef ragoncsa in 1962, at age 23 at marriage place.
              jozef was born on 22 JUL, in hungary.
              They had 3 children.

elsie passed away in 1980, at age 41 at death place.

Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                A tree on My Heritage.......I'm not a member so I cant see it.

elsie ragoncsa (born worsley) was born on month day 1938, at birth place, to albert worsley and elsie worsley (born trafford).
                elsie was born on 7 SEP.

elsie married jozef ragoncsa in 1962, at age 23 at marriage place.
                jozef was born on 22 JUL, in hungary.
                They had 3 children.

elsie passed away in 1980, at age 41 at death place.

https://www.myheritage.com/names/elsie_worsley
                Thanks Jacky - I'd seen this, although like you, I'm not a member so can't view the details. We are well on the way with Elsie's family and ancestors. However, it's Jozef's parents and/or exact birth location in Hungary that we are looking for.
                Is there anyone with MyHeritage membership who can see if this tree gives any further info re Jozef?

Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 29-09-18, 17:51.
                Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
                  Here's another possibility of perhaps his father.

Record set: New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals
                  First name(s): Jozsef
                  Last name: Ragoncsa
                  Role: Passenger
                  Others: Departure port relation (WIFE): Jozsef Ragoncsa, Arrival port relation (ACQU): Janos Vailer
                  Sex: Male
                  Birth year: 1870
                  Nationality: Hungary, Magyar
                  Residence: Tekes, Hungary
                  Year: 1909
                  Departure port: Fiume
                  Arrival place: New York
                  Ship name: Slavonia
                  Thanks HTSCF - had already found this - unlikely to be father given YOB and what was presumably permanent emigration to the US. Jozef was definitely born Hungary, and apparently used to write (in Hungarian) to a sister who continued to live there. Unfortunately the sister's name and location not known and the letters lost/destroyed...

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Working...
                  X