Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidney Jenkinson Military

Sidney b:23/10/1911 d:9/5/1997
    Wife: Vera Dover b:15/2/1915 married 6/1939. The 1939 census does not have a record of him but there is a closed entry between his wife and his mother in law which I cannot put a name too yet.

He served in India, North West Passage and I have found 1 reference in the Military Campaign Medals for 1933-5 Reg No. 4612295 - 2nd Battalion The Duke of Wellington's Regiment but this does not give any family backgound information so I am not 100% sure that this is him because the family story goes he lied about his age.

He also served with the British Expeditionary Force in France and was part of the rear guard in the Dunkirk evacuation, he was on the the very last troopship to leave france in 1940 and he was discharged around 10/1940.

I would love to know if there are any records out there for him.

Sue

Sue ............. the 1939 Register was updated by the NHS until some time in 1991 ....... your guy died after that date, so was not updated.

FMP staff are slowly updating records, and also will open records if they are sent full documentation by a user.

I would guess that this might be one reason why Sidney could be a closed record.

Of course, he could already have been in the military, and I am not sure how they are recorded.

Note that Ancestry's version of the 1939 Register was obtained from the national Archives, and do not contain any updates from the FMP unless they had already been submitted to NA.

IMHO ....... the FMP records are the most complete at the moment, yet still incomplete because fo the updating, and the fact that anyone who died overseas has not and will not be updated unless someone sends in the documentation. At least, not until FMP or Ancestry recognise just how old they would be! My aunt and uncle were born in the 1890s but emigrated in the early 1960s, and are still closed records
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

The MoD fee is £30.

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

If he was with with the BEF it is likely that he was in France when the 1939 census was done BEF 2 Sep 1939 census 29 Sep 1939

Comment

Working...
        X