Mary Watchorn age at death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Watchorn age at death?

just a bit miffed now.. been looking at a person and their death doesn't appear in the GRO index [to find out her age] yet it does appear in FreeBMD/Ancestry so how can I order a PDF of said death when it doesn't appear in their index? [and have sent a 'correction too' not that that will help] as they generally say no amendment needed.. fat lot of good that is when you want to order a pdf!
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-09-18, 16:58.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Mary Watchorn age at death?

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    oh yes... have to have a firm grasp.. for all of those straws!

just a bit miffed now.. been looking at a person and their death doesn't appear in the GRO index [to find out her age] yet it does appear in FreeBMD/Ancestry so how can I order a PDF of said death when it doesn't appear in their index? [and have sent a 'correction too' not that that will help] as they generally say no amendment needed.. fat lot of good that is when you want to order a pdf!
    If you have the volume and page number you can order a certificate whether or not it is on the GRO index. Perhaps you should email or phone GRO and tell them the details and that you want a pdf not a cert. They should be able to sort it for you.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      If you have the volume and page number you can order a certificate whether or not it is on the GRO index. Perhaps you should email or phone GRO and tell them the details and that you want a pdf not a cert. They should be able to sort it for you.

Margaret
      thank you Margaret, ideally I want to know the age of the person so I can then determine IF it is my Mary Watchorn.. are there any other sites that list the age of death? if it is her then more than likely that George marries again.. just odd that I can't find any trace of them.. so blooming confusing!
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-09-18, 16:58.
      Julie

Comment

This appears to be the only one missing from GRO that is on FreeBMD. Is this yours with HH??
        WATCHHORN, MARY 21
        GRO Reference: 1865 M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 142

Sorry Gloryer
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          This appears to be the only one missing from GRO that is on FreeBMD. Is this yours with HH??
          WATCHHORN, MARY 21
          GRO Reference: 1865 M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 142

Sorry Gloryer
          no Kat.. this one

Name: Mary Watchorn
          Registration Year: 1845
          Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
          Registration district: Melton Mowbray
          Inferred County: Leicestershire
          Volume:15
          Page:164

there is also Thomas aged 0 that is underneath Marys registration and I wondered if it were a child of hers, but I have discounted it as it has diff MMN. I'll split this out into a seperate thread in a mo..
          Julie

Comment

GRO have her listed as Mary WATCHOM, age at death 0
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              GRO have her listed as Mary WATCHOM, age at death 0
              ******! ah well, that can't be her then. many thanks Judith :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                ******! ah well, that can't be her then. many thanks Judith :smilee:
                When was yours born Julie and do you know she was still alive in 1841?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I searched for Watchom on GRO that Judith found yesterday and couldn't get that to come up no matter how I changed the options. Then I looked for Watchorn and it is has already been amended to Watchorn. That was quick!!!! - I assume one of you must have reported it?
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-09-18, 10:17.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    When was yours born Julie and do you know she was still alive in 1841?
                    I know she was b.abt 1769 and married in 1790 at st marys? Melton Mowbray

Name: George Watchorn
                    Residence: of Hose
                    Spouse: Mary Rippon
                    Marriage Date: 1790
                    Parish: Melton Mwby Lcs 3

I know that they had 3 children

Sarah b. 1791 d.1791
                    John b. 1791 have no idea where he went can't find him anywhere!
                    Sarah b. 1792 d.1860 [This Sarah is my gt gt gt Grandmother]

I know that both Sarah 1 and Johns surname was noted as WatchEn at their baptism yet when Sarah 2 married it had changed to WatchHorn.

the whole reason for looking for a death for Mary is that I cannot find either Mary or George Watchorn in ANY census, so was wondering if either had died and therefore re married.. they only had the three children that I can see..

been stuck here for so long and can't move backwards! and its a mainline too!
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      I searched for Watchom on GRO that Judith found yesterday and couldn't get that to come up no matter how I changed the options. Then I looked for Watchorn and it is has already been amended to Watchorn. That was quick!!!! - I assume one of you must have reported it?
                      I don't know Kat I hadn't looked/checked.. gimme a mo

oooh I see what you mean, I think from reading that they update on a Monday.. so perhaps that is why? and yes I did report it too.. just a shame that others I have reported give out the 'no amendment' guff even though clearly there are errors.. never mind at least I know now that it isn't 'my Mary'

ho hum.
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-09-18, 13:07.
                      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie have done a little Googling, and came up with the following - whether it is for your lot I don't know. A website with all things old Melton Mowbray has a copy of a letter written to the paper in 1882 by a Josiah Waite. It's a very long letter but he is recalling his memories of old Melton. One of them is about an incident in 1824:

Under the date 21st May, 1824, Mr Brereton records “a dreadful thunderstorm. accompanied by hail.” “Old Watchorn was killed by lightning on or near the Great Dalby-road.” I remember the circumstances perfectly well: he lived in King-street, at the first house next door to the Town Hall, and adjoining the entry that led up to the Bridewell, kept at that time by old John Black, the Town Officer. I also remember old George Watchorn’s clothes being exhibited,and saw them myself; they were exhibited in a passage or entry belonging to Dr. Reuben Whitchurch.

I then had a look in the papers for that date and found a short item about it saying a poor man named Watchorn, a shepherd to W Hill Esq, was on the road to Dalby walking to his master's house carrying a fork over his shoulder. They think the fork attracted the lightning and he was struck to the ground. He was carried home in a lifeless state and expired shortly after.

Any chance this is your George?

Link to the old Meltonian page: https://www.johnmcquaid.co.uk/2013/0...en-horses.html
                        Last edited by ozgirl; 17-09-18, 17:03. Reason: spelling
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

On FMP George is listed as George Watchom, b 1758, d. 1824. They also have a Mary Watchorn b 1758 died 1828 in Melton Mowbray- the age is a bit out but could she be yours? (I can only see search results for FMP, not got a sub).
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

this looks very very interesting.. I am off for a read.. thank you Linda x
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                              On FMP George is listed as George Watchom, b 1758, d. 1824. They also have a Mary Watchorn b 1758 died 1828 in Melton Mowbray- the age is a bit out but could she be yours? (I can only see search results for FMP, not got a sub).
                              I can see a Mary Watchorn burial on my disc [Dec 1828 aged 70] but I cannot see George on it, I know that Richard Robinson [Sarah 2's husband] died on King street in 1840 but whether it was the same house or not I have no idea.

Not sure now what to do...
                              Julie

Comment

from FMP

Leicestershire Burials

Mary Watchorn 70 Birth year 1758
                                Burial date 29 Dec 1828 Melton Mowbray
                                Anglican

no further information on image

BUT ..... if she married again to Richard Robinson, wouldn't she buried under the name ROBINSON????????????

OOPS ..... I re-read, and Richard was daughter's husband!

Sorry
                                Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-09-18, 20:39.
                                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Only trail I could possibly see in the parish register within the area was

George Watchorn labourer buried Redmile 17 Mar 1812

Mary Watchorn widower marries John Frisby widower 15 Mar 1813 Harby
                                  mar. wits. Elizabeth Watchorn William Wesson

just going to see if they are around 1841
                                  Last edited by Elaine; 17-09-18, 20:42.
                                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                    from FMP

Leicestershire Burials

Mary Watchorn 70 Birth year 1758
                                    Burial date 29 Dec 1828 Melton Mowbray
                                    Anglican

no further information on image

BUT ..... if she married again to Richard Robinson, wouldn't she buried under the name ROBINSON????????????

OOPS ..... I re-read, and Richard was daughter's husband!

Sorry
                                    Thank you Sylvia, did you see anything for George Watchorn at all d.1824? [after being struck by lightning]

Thanks Elaine x I did see Mary on the burial disc but couldn't spot anything for George! [hope you are keeping well?]
                                    Julie

Comment

Getting there slowly Julie, bigger gaps between hospital appts! Thanks for asking x
                                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                        not quite just when they were born was just working on 21 to be married which gave me the rough date, c1768 so was looking around there, if this is them then they married quite late. [Which could account for the lack of children.. ]
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X