Joseph Mayer Heath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Mayer Heath

Hi everyone. I am a relative newbie to researching my family tree having only started a couple of years ago, but I've had success on here before so I thought I'd be cheeky and ask for more help!. As I no longer live in Staffordshire, “popping down” to view records is not an option and I can only research on the web.

In the course of doing some research (Google), I came across a response in another Forum regarding a question about members of the Heath family that emigrated to New Zealand in the early 20th Century. In particular the writer referenced a Joseph Mayer Heath (born 1861). Now my own branch of the Heath tree is NOT the large Horton or Shaffalong branch, although I’ve often thought that it was likely that there would be a connection (indeed it does actually come into my tree but not as a direct bloodline, but actually through the husband of my Great Aunt) so I was interested to see the name “Mayer” as a middle name as this is very much in my direct line. It dates back to when my 4xGreat Grandfather John Heath married Lucy Mayer in 1813 and “Mayer” has been used as a middle name for several members of the family since – up to my Grandfather who was born in 1903. So I’m trying to find the link between Joseph Mayer Heath (born 1861) to John Heath (Born 1772) who married Lucy Mayer (born 1792) in 1813, because according to the post, Joseph Mayer Heath is part of the Horton/Shaffalong Heath family and was the brother of the Moorlands Poet, George Heath.

I know John and Lucy had 4 Children - Sarah (1814), James Mayer(1815), John(1817) and Thomas(1820)

James(1815) married Sarah Dale and had a son John Bowyer Heath in 1842.

John(1817) married Louisa Eardley and had 3 Children (Thomas, Sarah Elizabeth and Lucy Mayer)

Thomas(1820) married Caroline Barlow and had 7 Children (Sarah, Mary, James Mayer, Caroline, Ann, Christabele and Lucy Mayer

Sarah(1814) – I have not got any marriages or children yet for Sarah

It is also possible that another member of the Mayer family married into the Horton/Shaffalong Heath family and that they also subsequently included the name Mayer as a middle name.

I put the surname Heath and the forename Mayer into Staffs BMD. There are 7:

Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1848
    Surname Forename(s) Mother's Maiden Name Sub-District Registers At Reference
    HEATH Emily Mayer Norton Newcastle-Under-Lyme NO/04/001
    Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1855
    HEATH James Mayer Wolstanton Newcastle-Under-Lyme WOL/7/027
    Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1861
    HEATH Joseph Mayer Leek Newcastle-Under-Lyme LE/18/057
    Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1863
    HEATH Lucy Mayer Newcastle-under-Lyme Newcastle-Under-Lyme NUL/26/096
    Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1870
    HEATH Lucy Mayer Wolstanton Newcastle-Under-Lyme WOL/21/66
    Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1880
    HEATH John Mayer LOCKER Stoke Stoke-On-Trent STO/038/040
    Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1903
    HEATH Wilfred Mayer BROWNRIDGE Stoke Stoke-On-Trent STO/073/037
    Total records matching : 7.

5 are in my tree, and I want to find out if the other 2 are also (Emily Mayer is the other one that I don’t recognise). Can anyone help me find the link?

Thanks in advance

Here are a few MMNs which may help sort out the children

1848 Emily mmn (Mayer)
    1855 James (Barlow)
    1861 Joseph (Sims)
    1863 Lucy (Eardley)
    1870 Lucy (Barlow)

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-09-18, 10:44.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

This looks like Emily Mayer Heath in 1851 - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=9852

Father George - mother Martha

Birth - HEATH, EMILY MAYER - MMN MAYER - GRO Reference: 1848 J Quarter in LEEK UNION Volume 17 Page 74
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-09-18, 10:50.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Probably married John Sant in June 1867 Leek and died 1886 - Name Emily Mayer Sant - Estimated Birth Year abt 1849 - Registration Year 1886 - Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar - Age at Death 37 - Registration district Stoke upon Trent - Staffordshire - Volume 6b - Page 146

Comment

Emily 's parents (George Heath & Martha Mayer) married 29 Dec 1825; according to familysearch the marriage was after banns & took place at either Horton or Leek. (Image is available on FMP if you have a sub.)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you so much for all your replies. The MMNs really helped so I have found out the following about Joseph:

He was one of 7 children born to James and Eliza Heath (nee Sims). They were married in 1841. Eliza was the daughter of Simeon and Hannah Sims (nee Mayer(!!!)), so this is obviously where Joseph got his middle name. Now what I need to find is the link between Hannah and Lucy Mayer. Hannah was born in 1797 and Lucy in 1792 so I'd assume they were sisters - can anyone confirm that? And was Martha Mayer (Emily's mother) another sister?

Comment

There is a snippet about Emily's marriage in the paper
              Attached Files
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

This might be a helpful way for you to search out all the births with middle name of Mayer:

If you search FreeBMD births for Staffordshire using the first name box only with * Mayer and Staffordshire as county with no dates you will turn up almost a hundred births with middle name of Mayer between 1837 and 1982. These can then be checked using GRO birth index for mother's maiden name.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Should have added that of course you can use the same method to find marriages and deaths.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There are about 30 marriages going up to 1909 and about 46 deaths going up to 1979.

Comment

Working...
                    X