X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• address search please

am trying to find a William Brown he is at this address in 1911

1 Percy Circus, King Cross Road, Clerkenwell

Would like to find if he is still there after 1911 , but been looking through the Electoral Rolls on Ancestry and cannot find that address

Thanks

The address is there in the electoral rolls (see for instance the entries for Harry Bokenham) . Your William Brown is not listed so presumably he was not qualified to vote (he only had one room in a sub-divided property).

Comment

Thanks very much for your help much appreciated

Comment

Thanks found that address now ,I dont understand I thought all adults had to vote??

Comment

Answer (1 of 7): Working class householders in the cities received the vote in 1867. Those in the countryside did so in 1884. Finally, non-householders — people living with their parents, or in the homes of their employers (such as servants), or in barracks (soldiers, etc), or who were homeless —...

re universal suffrage for adult men:

"Working class householders in the cities received the vote in 1867. Those in the countryside did so in 1884. Finally, non-householders — people living with their parents, or in the homes of their employers (such as servants), or in barracks (soldiers, etc), or who were homeless — got the vote in 1918."
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-09-18, 09:00.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ah, yes. I was thinking he might not have been eligible to vote in 1911. But my history is not good and didn't have time to Google.
            Anne

Comment

how interesting thanks for that Kat:(

Comment

Working...
              X