Scottish records 1810

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish records 1810

Hi, traced a great+ grandfather through his marriage in 1830s. His spouse info states who her dad was but no mention of her mum (Did she not know her mum? I have managed to trace her mum latterly but why no mention of her on the marriage record?). And most importantly, for my tree, there is no mention of his parents on the record. Did he not know them? Did they die early? Any help appreciated as I have been tearing my hair out on this one.

Church marriage records hardly ever showed the mother's name. Only Scottish Statutary records will give you that information from 1855 onwards.

OC

Comment

Some Scottish parochial marriages state the groom's occupation and the bride's father - you are fortunate to have the bride's father's name. It is not a question that she did not know her mother, just that the Minister did not record it [not essential for the purpose of recording the marriage].

As OC it is not until 1855 in Scotland that both sets of parents are listed

Comment

Having details beyond the names of the parties and the date prior to 1855 is rare.

Each parish recorded different details. Some parishes record addresses with occupations and both fathers, some just the bride's father.

From 1855 you get full details, including both parents.

Comment

I have found monumental inscriptions to be helpful sometimes and you can work through a process of elimination, naming patterns and so on. Death certificates after 1855 should give parents names too, but only as known to the informant of course.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X