florence smart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• florence smart

H I ive hit a brick wall .Florence smart was born in tipton in 1897 .parents were William and emma smart .sister was Hannah Elizabeth nancy smart .I know she went to live with Hannah and Samuel corfield when her parents died .cant find anything else about her .many thanks .

Hi

Not having a lot of luck but just adding a bit more info that you probably know but will help others looking.

William Smart marries Emma Calloway in Sep 1892 Dudley district.
    Florence born Sep 1896
    Hannah Elizabeth born Sep 1893

1901 living with parents
    1911 both girls living with the Corfields as Nieces so some relation there.
    Emma and William both die leaving wills.

After that there are a few marriages for Florence Smart but I can't decide if any fit.

Will keep looking
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just in case it helps ...........

Hannah married Arthur Gibbs in September quarter 1919, registration Dudley

They could be on the 1939 Register
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I wonder if this is Hannah in 1939, but if so, Florence is not with her (I was hoping!!!!). Just in case you are interested ................

61 Colville Road , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
        Hannah E L Gibbs 05 Sep 1894 Unpaid Domestic Duties
        Arthur Gibbs 24 Feb 1894 Painter Maintenance
        Nancy Payne (Gibbs) 30 Dec 1922 Sewing Machinist Sanitary

from image:-

Nancy's name was changed from Gibbs to Payne reflecting her marriage, dated 28-4-58. Plus there is a note in the last column *C/86 ........... I have no idea what that means!

A note in the last column for Arthur says P.P Fire Brigade Southall
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

They are on 1939 register with daughter Nancy born 1922.
          Lin

Comment

Snap
            Lin

Comment

Thankyou so much everyone .Nancy gibbs was my grandmother .Florence lived with Hannah cornfield when her parents died,as she was emma callaways sister .I know Florence had a child called Thelma just cant find who she married .gemcatx

Comment

Did Florence have the child before or after marriage????

Comment

Have you any idea when or where Thelma was born please?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks everyone for helping .I don't whether Thelma was born before or after Florence was married .I think she was born in Birmingham .a relative thinks that Florence or Thelma are connected to a dennis?but we are not sure ...appreciated the help thanks gemcat

Comment

You'd need certificates to prove/disprove this but how about:

Florence SMART born Q3 1896 Dudley 6c 38
                      Florence M SMART married Richard W LONGLAND Q4 1918 Walsall 6b 1152
                      Thelma LONGLAND mmn SMART born Q2 1926 Birmingham S 6d 375
                      1939 register Thelma LONGLAND born 20 Apr 1926 living, possibly as an evacuee, at the Cottage, Pershore with retired nurse Louise CORBETT. Later married name of HOLT has been added in register
                      Thelma LONGLAND married Dennis HOLT Q3 1952 Birmingham 9c 738
                      Thelma HOLT b 20 April 1926 died Dec 2002 Solihull
                      Dennis HOLT b 11 May 1925 died Q2 1995 Birmingham

1939 register
                      48 Wilton Rd Birmingham
                      Florence M LONGLAND 5 June 1895 unpaid domestic
                      Richard W LONGLAND 28 May 1895 Inspector gun departmant BSA (entry cancelled, reentered on page 13)
                      Florence Maud LONGLAND b 9 June 1896 died Q4 1974 Birmingham 32 1054
                      Richard William LONGLAND b 28 May 1895 died Q4 1972 Coventry 9c 2052
                      Last edited by JudithM; 02-09-18, 16:05. Reason: corrected page number
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith, that all sounds very good but as you say, certificates are necessary.
                        Lin

Comment

I followed that one to Judith, because of the Thelma connection. I didn't mention it before because I thought that one was probably the Florence Maud Smart who was born March 1896 Dudley and her parents appear to be possibly John Smart and Lizzie Saxon, who married June 1895 Dudley.

Comment

p.s. I can't find that one with a John and Lizzie though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              I followed that one to Judith, because of the Thelma connection. I didn't mention it before because I thought that one was probably the Florence Maud Smart who was born March 1896 Dudley and her parents appear to be possibly John Smart and Lizzie Saxon, who married June 1895 Dudley.
                              June date of birth suggests the Q3 birth registration. I think the Florence Maud born Dudley Q1 1896 died aged 1 in Q1 1897.
                              Last edited by JudithM; 03-09-18, 13:54.

Comment

Sorry Judith, yes you are right. So the only stumbling block is the Maud middle name. I wonder why she would have added that?

Comment

thankyou everyone as far as im aware Florence didn't have a middle name |but who knows everything else seems to connect .appreciate the help as ive been trying to find out about Florence for ages .gemcat

Comment

Could be she adopted a middle name when she married, plenty of my lot seem to have done this, or sometimes swapped their name for a slightly "posher" version.

Comment

Working...
                                    X