William George Meffen Executed in 1944 for Murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William George Meffen Executed in 1944 for Murder

Would be interested to hear from anyone who is conducting research for the Meffen family; William was my Great-Uncle.

Welcome to FTF, Annjojen.

I know this is not what you asked for and you probably already know this, but the records about this case are at TNA, closed for 75 years but due to be opened 1st Jan 2020 and you can request opening under the FOI act.

OC

Comment

The Home Office papers on the case (which are usually very detailed) are available at the National Archives (HO 144/22042).

As a capital case, it would have automatically been referred to the Home Office after sentence - I would expect the papers to have a copy of all the relevant court papers, and probably (but not always) copies of any recommendations from the trial judge, perhaps also family letters, or anything relating to an appeal or plea for clemency.

I looked at a capital case from the late 1930s recently - the file was about an inch thick.

You should also apply to have the prison file (PCOM 9/1043) opened under the FOI, as mentioned above, they usually allow such requests within a few weeks.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 31-08-18, 13:08.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Welcome to FTF, Annjojen.

I know this is not what you asked for and you probably already know this, but the records about this case are at TNA, closed for 75 years but due to be opened 1st Jan 2020 and you can request opening under the FOI act.

OC
        Thank you. I didn't know this until about 10 minutes ago and I have literally just requested this under the FOI act to see if it can be opened early. Advice much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
          The Home Office papers on the case (which are usually very detailed) are available at the National Archives (HO 144/22042).

As a capital case, it would have automatically been referred to the Home Office after sentence - I would expect the papers to have a copy of all the relevant court papers, and probably (but not always) copies of any recommendations from the trial judge, perhaps also family letters, or anything relating to an appeal or plea for clemency.

I looked at a capital case from the late 1930s recently - the file was about an inch thick.

You should also apply to have the prison file (PCOM 9/1043) opened under the FOI, as mentioned above, they usually allow such requests within a few weeks.

Thank you for the advice. I have literally just applied under the FOI as you mention. I did use the code PCOM 9/1043 but did not realise these were the prison records. Definitely would want to see these but I was also interested in the actual court case: witness statements; procedure in relation to his appeal and defence.... In relation to the Home Office - should I contact them or is this also done through the National Archives? I have found another record Ref: HO 144/22042 and this opening date states 14/03/2007 - appears to be Home Office record so I am now slightly confused! (Doesn't take much!) Really appreciate your advice.

Comment

HO 144/22042 is the file I recommended, and is open to view now. You don't need to contact the Home Office, anyone can see it by visiting TNA at Kew, or you can get a researcher to look at it for you and take photos of any interesting things, or you can ask TNA to send you a photocopy of it (they will quote you a cost first, which will depend on the number of sheets in it).

It is the same for the prison file - if they open it under FOI, you can then access it in the same ways.

There may be some duplication between the files, but you can't tell that without looking at them both.
            Last edited by AntonyM; 31-08-18, 13:58.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks again - much appreciated.
              Ann J

Comment

Working...
              X