Another bad news FMP service change issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bad news FMP service change issue

This is a post that I have pasted in from another forum where I am a member. Name removed to respect privacy.
    Has anybody else received this email? Like my friend, I have years and years worth of stuff saved in the my records section and my sub is currently in abeyance. Had hoped to wait a good while yet to see if a good offer came up. Looks like I will have to pay up again pretty soon or lose a lot. My friend has an Australian based world sub.

“I had an email this morning stating that if I didn't renew my subs I would then lose ALL my searches, this applies from Sept 2018.
    If you re-new after (later down the track) you will only be able to view your searches from the renewal date.
    I have 978 pages of searches covering all records. This would take me forever to go through them and print out.
    Furious at FMP they have just become another money grabbing site. Not a happy chappy.”
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 31-08-18, 12:03. Reason: oops

I gave up with them a few years go when the site kept crashing in the census database, report the issue and they would simply reply, "why not use our other records, such as bmd registrations?", when I flagged up the issue and response on Fb they blocked me from the page.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

am surprised at that, wont do them any good as many will not bother renewing with them.
      Do you have your tree on there ?? and your searches saved to it ? maybe you could save that tree somewhere.

Comment

We have already paid to view our saved records originally so is this unlawful,? with holding them for us/you? having to pay again to view them as such?

I to received their email, as I always use to take up their special offers, which I might add they haven't had for over a year now, so I just stick with ancestry, the average person can't afford both Ancestry and Find my past, as a lot of people are retired, so having special deals helps to solve that problem, I think they might be biting of more than they can chew...

Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          am surprised at that, wont do them any good as many will not bother renewing with them.
          Do you have your tree on there ?? and your searches saved to it ? maybe you could save that tree somewhere.
          I don’t do online trees Val apart from recently after I took the ancestry DNA test. I have a bare bones pedigree tree on there which is searchable but private. I have rarely been asked by a DNA match to see my tree. I also uploaded the tree to MyHeritage. I have nothing on FMP apart from a huge amount of parish records, 1911 census and 1939 register images stored. They are stored only because the site automatically does this for you. I find it very handy if I accidentally end up looking for someone and find that I have “already viewed this record”.
          Interesting to think that removing this facility would be illegal. It may well be so, as monthly subbies and those who only take out an annual sub every now and again would lose everything every time the sub runs out.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-08-18, 19:53.

Comment

They are just bringing themselves into line with the other sites - if it is this or anther price rise, I am fine with it. I gather that the email has only gone out to those who do not have a current sub. A worldwide with FMP as a regular is still cheaper than a full price worldwide sub with other sites.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Wondered why I never got the email ? Caroline.

anyone seen and used the link

Choose from 9 Findmypast voucher & promo codes | Find tested exclusive discounts at MyVoucherCodes | Grab a saving today!
              Last edited by Guest; 30-08-18, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                They are just bringing themselves into line with the other sites - if it is this or anther price rise, I am fine with it. I gather that the email has only gone out to those who do not have a current sub. A worldwide with FMP as a regular is still cheaper than a full price worldwide sub with other sites.
                The fact that I could always view previously searched records/documents,even when I didn't have a live sub, was always a big plus for me with FMP. FMP is a better option than Ancestry for me as their Irish records are much more extensive.
                However, I agree with Caroline that this just brings them into line with Ancestry. My understanding from the email I received is that all your previous searches will still be there, (which differentiates them from Ancestry) but you won't be able to view the associated images unless you have the relevant sub.
                I suppose the fact that I thought they would continue to be available whenever I wanted to view them made me a bit lazy about saving each individual image as I went along. The change will happen some time in September, although the exact date not specified as yet - so I think I will go through as many as I can before it happens to make sure I have saved them electronically!
                For info, this is the full text of the email I received:

'My records’ is changing

We’re getting in touch to let you know about some upcoming changes to your account. From September, your previously viewed records in 'My records' will only be accessible with a valid subscription.
                We’ll update you on the exact date this change is planned for closer to the time.

What you need to know

You’ll need a valid subscription to view all records* stored in ‘My records’, including those previously viewed via free trial or free access promotion.

If you choose to subscribe, you'll have access only to the records included in your subscription. You may need to upgrade to view others.

The history of the records you searched will be retained in your account, so you won’t lose track of your progress and previously viewed records.

Thank you,
                The Findmypast Team

*If you used PayAsYouGo credits to purchase and view records in the past, these records will still be available to view in 'My records' without a subscription.
                Last edited by Karamazov; 30-08-18, 21:58.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

When they started with the 1911 census wasn't it part of the terms that your image was able to be viewed free after the first time? Have I misremembered that? Also it seems very odd to discriminate PAYG acquired images from those obtained with a sub. However I do have a current sub with both FMP and Ancestry and can see FMP are bringing themselves into line.
                  Anne

Comment

Guy

So how can they keep a record of non subscribed searches then, (payg)?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      This is a post that I have pasted in from another forum where I am a member. Name removed to respect privacy.
                      Has anybody else received this email? Like my friend, I have years and years worth of stuff saved in the my records section and my sub is currently in abeyance. Had hoped to wait a good while yet to see if a good offer came up. Looks like I will have to pay up again pretty soon or lose a lot. My friend has an Australian based world sub.

“I had an email this morning stating that if I didn't renew my subs I would then lose ALL my searches, this applies from Sept 2018.
                      If you re-new after (later down the track) you will only be able to view your searches from the renewal date.
                      I have 978 pages of searches covering all records. This would take me forever to go through them and print out.
                      Furious at FMP they have just become another money grabbing site. Not a happy chappy.”
                      GL
                      can you not download them to your computer?? or store in the cloud?
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That’s not me that has 978 pages of stuff Julie. That is my Australian friend. Mind you I wouldn’t like to guess the number of pages that I do have ??
                        I am in Madeira at the moment and do not intend spending my days downloading or uploading anything. Hopefully we will have till the end of the month to get ourselves ahead of the game.

Comment

Out of interest I had a look and I have 519 pages worth. It will only be back to 2010 anyway as I remember that my earlier ones (i.e. from the start of the site 1837online with about two counties for a census!! when I was PAYG) vanished along with visible subscription information when the site was updated a few years back.

It makes sense to me that PAYG should still keep access to theirs as they have to pay a lot per item whereas with subscription you can look at as many as you like. The gobbledygook in the URL will tell them how you were logged in when you looked at a page.

I am guessing that the timing is to do with their joining up with LivingDNA.

They are looking for people near London to test new things. From their FB page:

Войдите на Facebook, чтобы общаться с друзьями, родственниками и знакомыми.

Caroline
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I also spotted this in response to one of the complaints:

"With regard to changing to terms and conditions, our terms and conditions currently state the following in relation to viewing records "You can see the different types of Records held on the Site for free however, to access and view most Records or use certain features of the Site you will need to register with the Site and purchase Credits or a Subscription, "
                            Caroline

Comment

I've just had an email from FMP confirming the date when the changes to "My records" come into effect:

We want to remind you that from Sunday 30 September, your previously viewed records in 'My records' will only be accessible with a valid subscription or PayAsYouGo credits.

Christine
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 05-09-18, 20:30.
                              Researching:
                              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

That gives me about a fortnight to get cracking then once I’m home.

Comment

Finally getting round to this and I have 366 pages, at least I hope that's all there is and when I get closer to the end it won't then let me see that I have much further to go!
                                  Anyway, the point of this post is to alert folks to something that I missed in the first few pages.
                                  I was merrily downloading on autopilot before I spotted that in the transcriptions of baptisms/marriages etc. where there is no accompanying image, every pdf file created is named "untitled" so I have lost about a dozen or so as I was overwriting them without realising it. I will have to go back and check those ones again.
                                  If you have looked at a Scottish census transcription more than once without realising it = eg. searching for two different people in the same household, you will not run into the same problem as with parish records as each image has a separate pdf file number. You will be given 3 options - append the subsequent image to the first one you saved, overwrite the first one saved or cancel the process.
                                  At 30 mins per page so far, I am going to be at it a long while - if I do 8 hours a day right to the wire, I might just get it done

Comment

It's a good thing to publicise these changes over social media and on forums such as this. If you are really concerned why not raise this directly with FMP. I have sent them an email regarding this.
                                    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Working...
                                    X