Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would my Grandad attend a school for 3 months??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would my Grandad attend a school for 3 months??

Hello friends

My Grandad Arthur McKanna attended Teesdale St School, Bethnal Green for 3 months, according to records.
    He was born in 1899 and admission date was April 1902 (so aged 3) and discharged July 1902.

I've tried researching Teesdale St School but I can't seem to find anything specific on this school. I would appreciate any ideas.

Do you think he could have been placed there because of poverty, just for a short while? Between the 1901 and 1911 census's, the family did move. Do these type of school admissions records exist just for 'permanent residential' schools or all attendance in regular day schools?

Thanks very much.

Amanda

All schools would have had admissions registers, though it is a matter of whether or not they survive. Logbooks can also mention individual children, I am currently transcribing one for 1921 though it says how many on the roll but rarely mentions names, though sometimes say why the roll has gone down, eg child moved away, or temporary visitor.

Comment

July would have been the end of the school year, just as it is now.

So the family might have moved, or told the school the child would not be back in September.

School records are slowly being digitised and added to ancestry or FMP, so you might be lucky eventually and find him again.

I must say that 3 seems rather young to be at school back then I know it is common in the UK now) ............ my dad was born in 1904, and was 4 when he started school, as was I in the 1940s.

My father and mother both left school when they were 12, in 1915 and 1916 respectively ...... I have the certificates they were given on leaving which stated that they had had xxx days of schooling and thus fulfilled the regulations for leaving. Both certificates are folded several times as if both carried them around to show to future employers, or as proof that they were indeed legally not going to school.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Not sure why he would have been enrolled so early. Maybe parents thought he was a year older. So possibly removed because he was too young.

My Hilda Dorothea was enrolled when she was supposed to be aged 4 but info given to school re dob was incorrect. She was aged 3. Lasted a month. Cause of leaving as too young. Her school record is on FMP but I cant see one for Arthur or on FMP or Ancestry.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 27-08-18, 18:28.

Comment

Can see Record of Arthur at Teesdale St
          School having browsed Ancestry. Not sure if that is your source but no reason given for short period of attendance.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 27-08-18, 19:10.

Comment

As far as I know, there was a compulsory age at which a child MUST start school (5 and often the yardstick was by the start of the school term following the 5th birthday) However, schools COULD take children at a younger age at the discretion of the head teacher. Perhaps there were special family circumstances; looking at the records for the school in my village a lot of children started at just four; many parents didn't have all birth certificates to hand and genuinely weren't sure of the dob of the child. The family could have moved house - a move to the next street could have meant a move into the catchment area of another school. Also don't discount human error - the head teacher did make mistakes copying up data into columns. Another thought is that this was the time of the introduction of nursery schools and nursery classes, particularly in poorer areas of some of the London boroughs and also Deptford (Kent) and Bradford (Yorkshire) come to mind. Have a look through the register - can you see admissions for children of a comparable age?

All state schools had to keep admissions registers - annual funding was partly governed by numbers on roll and attendance. Also, attendance officers (the school board man) checked up on children to make sure the law was being followed.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              Can see Record of Arthur at Teesdale St
              School having browsed Ancestry. Not sure if that is your source but no reason given for short period of attendance.

Vera

Yes, Vera this is where my source is from.

Thank you very much all for your thoughts on this. Yes, the family moved from Meadows Close, Leyton to Minerva St, Bethnal Green.

Amanda

Comment

Working...
              X