DNA Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Corner

One fore the Mods maybe, now that DNA testing is becoming more and more prolific, is there scope for a DNA section maybe`?

Just a thought...............
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
    One fore the Mods maybe, now that DNA testing is becoming more and more prolific, is there scope for a DNA section maybe`?

Just a thought...............
    A good thought - I promised it back in November and have been slowly collecting stuff for it. Slowly mainly because the response was rather underwhelming!! :D
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh dear I thought DNA was really popular ??
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
        Oh dear I thought DNA was really popular ??
        It's becoming more so - now you've prompted me I will get on with it.

There are a couple of running threads - by chance I was able to resurrect one yesterday.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I'm one of the non-believers in DNA testing, dating back to my education in genetics!

I think it is not as valuable as suggested, far too costly, and causes lots of problems because of inaccuracy.

Just one vote against such a section ................ though of course I have no need to read it, and will not!
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Well, I accept the science behind genetic genealogy - and its limitation. And much of what I learned was from a masters-prepared geneticist turned genetic genealogist.

I've been fortunate to be able to prove suspected family lines with it - my g'g'grandfather's records just did not conclusively prove his parents, despite a lot of research dollars spent to do record searches in distant places. I suspect I spent less on testing than on record research. And testing confirmed not just that line, but others as well.

And I've assisted a handful of people identify their genetic parent(s) using genetic-gen.

And testing costs have dropped so much - AncestryDNA in the US is advertising a sale for US$59 plus shipping. Other testing sites have similar pricing.

But it is easy for us lay people to put the wrong constructs on results.

Comment

I was very hesitant about DNA to start with, but a 2nd cousin was searching for her unknown paternal grandfather & so she tested. One of her matches ended up being a distant cousin on our Norfolk lines. They both descended from 2 sisters born in 1759 & 1762, with the paper trail to prove it. This made me sit up, so I tested with FamilyTreeDNA.

My paternal grandmother's grandfather was a mystery before his arrival in Australia pre 1860. He used the name John Watson on everything, his marriage in 1860 & on several of his children's birth & death certificates, and stated he was born in Devon, England. But on his own death certificate registered by his daughter, he was listed as John Thomas Gardiner Creber WATSON. A 2nd cousin had located a Gardener/Creber marriage in Devon many years ago, but at that time it was too hard to follow up.

My sister tested with AncestryDNA, giving me access, so when I searched her match list for CREBER, up popped several matches. The best match happened to be descended from the GARDENER/CREBER marriage & I have now managed to determine that our John WATSON was actually Thomas Partridge Gardener CREBER. You can see full details at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Creber-25

I am now using DNA to confirm my 35 years of research & it has also managed to help me contact fairly close (previously unknown) relations here in Australia.

I would definitely be interested in a DNA section here.

Comment

Working...
              X