Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with handwriting in a parish marriage record

Hi all,

I'm having a problem reading a word - I think it's an abbreviation - and the more I look at it, the more it keeps saying the same thing to me. Hopefully a fresh set of eyes may either agree with me or suggest a more plausible alternative.

The attached image section is from a parish marriage record and so far I think it says:

Thomas Simpson of Thwing yeoman & Alice Haggett of Rudston ??? married in ye parish Church of Thwing by banns published ....

I think the word at ??? is wid as in widow.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
    Mark.
    Attached Files

I agree.Looks like "Wid" to me too!
    F

Comment

I think "wid" too.
      There was 1723 bur at Rudston of John Haggitt - however, I didn't come across a prior John Haggit & Alice marriage, although I only had a cursory look.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes I think it says Vid abbreviation of the Latin for widow.
        Anne

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I found the burial record for John Haggett in Rudston too.

In case anybody else is looking for her in the future, I found a marriage record for 17 Nov 1719 in Hunmanby, which according to Google Maps is about 7.5 miles north of Rudston. The marriage was between John Hagget and Ellis Dun. Looking at the image of the entry, her name is definitely written as Ellis. I think it might be safe to say that Ellis and Alice are the same person. If that's the case, then there's a baptism record for Ellis Dun on 29 Jan 1698 in Hunmanby - her father is recorded as Joseph.

Comment

Ellis was quite a common forename in East Yorkshire at that time - I have several in my tree, funnily enough on a line which goes back to include some Haggets at Filey, c1730 and after. However, the Ellis comes from a line marrying a Hagget descendant.
            Rudston, Hunmanby, Reighton, Seamer and Filey are all in the same area.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
            X