Thomas Rees in the 1851 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Rees in the 1851 Census

I am trying to find where Thomas Rees was on the night of the 1851 Census.
    Thomas was born in Machen Monmouthshire in 1811.He married Ann Lewis in 1829. They appear as a family in the 1841 census, and again in the 1861 census. In the 1851 census Ann is given as the head of the family together with the children. Ann is described as a widow, which she wasn't. This was a description often used when the husband is elsewhere on census night. I can't find any trace of Thomas living elsewhere as a lodger or a visitor, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't prison.

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Have found them in Escombe, Durham in 1861 his occupation is Puddler Iron Works.

In 1851 there's a Thomas Rees in Escombe, Durham who is a Pudler, born in Newport Monmouthshire (there's a Machen near Newport) lodging with the Morriss family. The age is out but he's a lodger so the people who he's lodging with may just have guessed his age.

Comment

Is this Thomas , a Haulier with Ann in 41 and 61 and 71?
      If so the 61 and 71 states Thomas b in Birmingham.

1861 https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=7618
      1871 https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=8768
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Jill,
        The thomas Rees that I am looking for is a haulier. In the 1861 census he is back recorded with his family in Machen. It is the 1851 census that I cannot find him.

Arthur

Comment

Ah, I see.

Comment

Hi Ka

That is the Thomas I am looking for. I agree both of the dates you mention show his place of birth as Birmingham. However both his relations in the USA and all other records including the Parish Register all show Machen as the birth place. Some where he must have been on the census night of 1851, but where seems to elude us all so far.

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Old Supporter View Post
              Hi Ka
              However both his relations in the USA and all other records including the Parish Register all show Machen as the birth place.
              I'm not sure how much you can rely on those sources. Thomas Rees isn't an uncommon name, and the relations in the USA may have just assumed he was born in Machen as he was living there in 1841 and 1861, without noticing that his birthplace was given as Birmingham.

Do you have any other sources with the Machen birthplace?
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-08-18, 16:37.

Comment

Hello Mary,
                I can assure you that extensive research was carried out both b my relations in the USA, who family line he appears in, and also here in the UK. We also have his birth record from the Machen Parish Records. I agree that it is a fairly common name in Wales, but not when associated with his wife and children.

Comment

What do you think of this one

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

Tir Isaf, Llansamlet, Neath, Glamorganshire, Wales

Thomas Rees Head Married Male 38 1813 Haulier Carmarthenshire, Wales
                  Mary Rees Wife Married Female 35 1816 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                  Thomas Rees Son - Male 9 1842 Scholar Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                  Philip Rees Son - Male 5 1846 Scholar Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                  Mary Rees Daughter - Female 4 1847 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                  Margaret Rees Daughter - Female 2 1849 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                  Susannah Rees Daughter - Female 1 1850 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales

Comment

What do you think of this one

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

Tir Isaf, Llansamlet, Neath, Glamorganshire, Wales

Thomas Rees Head Married Male 38 1813 Haulier Carmarthenshire, Wales
                    Mary Rees Wife Married Female 35 1816 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                    Thomas Rees Son - Male 9 1842 Scholar Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                    Philip Rees Son - Male 5 1846 Scholar Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                    Mary Rees Daughter - Female 4 1847 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                    Margaret Rees Daughter - Female 2 1849 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales
                    Susannah Rees Daughter - Female 1 1850 - Llansamlet, Glamorgan, Wales

Comment

Originally posted by Old Supporter View Post
                      Hello Mary,
                      I can assure you that extensive research was carried out both b my relations in the USA, who family line he appears in, and also here in the UK. We also have his birth record from the Machen Parish Records. I agree that it is a fairly common name in Wales, but not when associated with his wife and children.
                      Hi Arthur, can you tell us where you believe Thomas was baptised? Was it Machen, and if so, church or chapel? Nothing is showing up as yet if I search the Machen church registers 1812 +/- 2 yrs. However, if he was baptised in a chapel, then I can't access the records to check for you.

They were both of Bedwelty when they married.

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-08-18, 20:41.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The above Bedwelty marriage is probably wrong, because that bride was Ann PRICE.
                        However, I can't find a Monmouthshire marriage for Thomas Rees and Ann Lewis. Where did they marry?

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I suppose it is possible that Thomas travelled to USA and back around 1851 to scout out possibilities of emigration for his family. His last child - Arthur was born 1843 so perhaps sometime between 1843 and 1851?
                          I see that his son George emigrated later with Sarah and children after 1871. (or perhaps Sarah followed him after he'd settled as he isn't on the 1871 census with her?) .
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-08-18, 21:38.
                          Kat

Comment

Hello Val,
                            Thank you for your continued interest, but unfortunately that is the wrong family.

In 1851 The children would be
                            Isaac Rees 17
                            Martha Rees 16
                            Mary Rees 14
                            George Rees 11
                            Alfred Rees 9

All of whom were born in Machen Monmouthshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              Hi Arthur, can you tell us where you believe Thomas was baptised? Was it Machen, and if so, church or chapel? Nothing is showing up as yet if I search the Machen church registers 1812 +/- 2 yrs. However, if he was baptised in a chapel, then I can't access the records to check for you.

Jay
                              Can you let us have the exact wording on the baptism and marriage that you have for Thomas, it may help us to have the full info that you have.
                              Kat

Comment

Hello Janet and Kat,

When I found Thomas baptism record was several years ago. Now like you I can find no details, so until we find more evidence it must be suspect.

Regarding the USA the first to emigrate was Alfred in 1865/6, his family followed him in 1866. Next to go was George, who was recruited for the Pennsylvania Mines and took his family with him in 1871.Thomas, the father, did not go around this time. After his wife died, Alfred came back to take him over to live with him. This was about 2 years before he died over there in 1884. He was buried in the local cemetery next to 2 farms the family now owns in Kansas.

Alfred was the great,great,grandfather of a Betty Jo Chapman who is co owner of the farms with her sister. I am in regular contact with her and she has just said that she has mailed a lot about the family in the USA, so I might find out something more from that. My family came down the Isaac leg, who was a brother of Alfred.

Sorry if this is too much information

Arthur

Comment

Thanks Arthur.
                                  For info this is 1851 census for Ann/e - Thomas and Isaac missing. Mary is a domestic at another household.

Bassaleg, Monmouthshire
                                  Anne Rees 45 b Rudry, Glamorgan
                                  Martha Rees 16 b St Woollos, Monmouthshire,
                                  George Rees 11 b Newport, Monmouthshire
                                  Alfred Rees 8 b Machen, Monmouthshire
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-08-18, 09:14.
                                  Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat,

I have that. St Woolos, Newport and Machen were all used in various documents as being the same place.
                                    What I cannot understand though, is if Thomas was born in Birmingham and not Machen, why on earth would he move to a small place like Machen to have his family. To me it seems more likely that Machen was his birthplace and Ann moved from Glamorgan to live with him on marriage.

Thanks for your continued interest

Arthur

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Supporter;2633511]Thanks Kat,

I have that. St Woolos, Newport and Machen were all used in various documents as being the same place.
                                      What I cannot understand though, is if Thomas was born in Birmingham and not Machen, why on earth would he move to a small place like Machen to have his family. To me it seems more likely that Machen was his birthplace and Ann moved from Glamorgan to live with him on marriage.

Thanks for your continued interest

Arthur[/QUOTE

Maybe his parents were from the Machen/Newport area and moved away for a short while, either for work or on a visit, Thomas was born and they then went back to South Wales.
                                      I've had a similar conundrum on one of my lines, but within the same county. For decades we've been unable to find the birthplace and parentage of an ancestor, who just "turned up" in our area, when he married in 1812. We've hunted high and low in parish registers, to no avail. Recently we found a one-off birth in BTs, a resource we hadn't previously consulted. A bit more digging revealed the marriage of the parents - it transpired the mother was a native of the parish where the baptism had taken place, but had married elsewhere, then the couple returned to the husband's native parish many miles away, where a whole host of children were born and baptised. We wonder if the couple had taken the child to the mother's parents home for a visit and baptism, or whether they were on a visit and there was a premature birth and baptism. (Our ancestor was the second child of the couple and in later census gave a corrupted and abbreviated version of the name on the village where he was brought up as place of birth.)
                                      The moral of the story is NEVER give up and keep on trying new sources as they become available. Also keep an open mind - our rellies did travel around more than we think and all things are possible!

Jay
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-08-18, 14:04.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Not adding anything for Thomas' place of birth but for info.

On FMP Glamorgan marriage index, marriage on the same day for Thomas Rees and Ann Lewis 03/04/1829 Merthyr Tydfil.

FMP Glamorgan Marriages and Banns
                                        Merthyr Tydfil
                                        Thomas Rees and Anne Lewis both OTP 22/02, 01/03, 08/03,1829

FMP Glamorgan Baptisms

Ann Lewis, Rudry 11/11/1804
                                        Father Thomas, mother Mary

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X