1851 islington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 islington

can anyone find a mary anne gadd born c.1810 in islington in the 1851 census? i have a death cert in 1856 at 17 gerrard st, islington. wife of thomas gadd, clerk. informant: jane james, 6 roberts yard.

this i all i have to go on. no trace of any of them.....

Not found them yet. But there is a possible marriage on free bmd in St Martins in the Fields (right area) SEPT 1845 where one of the listed possible brides is Mary Ann Cottey?
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 07-08-18, 16:55.

Comment

Heather FMP has that marriage
      Mary Ann
      Last name Cottey
      Banns year 1845
      Marriage year 1845
      Marriage date 04 Aug 1845
      Spouse's first name(s) Richard Osborn
      Spouse's last name Harris
      Parish St Martin-In-The-Fields
      County Middlesex
      Country England
      Archive City of Westminster Archives Centre
      Page 228
      Record set Westminster Banns

Comment

maybe this one

MARY ANN
        Last name AYRES
        Marriage quarter 4
        Marriage year 1845
        Registration month -
        MarriageFinder™ MARY ANN AYRES married one of these people
        Thomas James Butler, John Thomas Gadd, William Robert Sparrowhawk, Edmund Parsell
        District St. Martin
        District number -
        County London
        Country England
        Volume 1
        Volume as transcribed 1
        Page number 175

Comment

There is this one but John UNMARRIED?

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
          48, Paradise Street, Lambeth, London & Surrey, England

Mary Homan Head Widow Female 74 1777 Annuitant (Victualler) Westminster, Middlesex, England
          Frances Papsworth Visitor Widow Female 65 1786 Honble East India Compy Westminster, Middlesex, England
          John Gadd Visitor Unmarried Male 27 1824 Clerk Middlesex, England T
          Elizabeth Bristow Servant Unmarried Female 73 1778 General Servant Westminster, Middlesex, England
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

what about this one
            Mary A Gadd 1811 Lambeth

Comment

Hi val Oh not the one on freebmd then. May be they never married.

That one born Lambeth is married to Joseph Gadd, a Proprietor of Houses, so a rich man, not a clerk :(

Cor ancestry made a real old mess of transcribing that page didnt they
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 07-08-18, 21:29.

Comment

they sure did, nice to see you by the way

Comment

i don't think any of those are likely. i know islington is partly missing in 1861, so i couldn't see a thomas gadd there. i couldn't find a jane james at that address in 1851 or 1861 either.

i'm wondering if she was my mary anne gadd. no evidence to say she isn't, but no evidence to confirm it either.

Comment

Wondered about this one. There is a Thomas ? J Gadd with a Mary Ann Nee Wills in 1841 and 1851 in Chichester.
                    He is a Grocer employing men.

They marry Chichester 1839. Mary Ann aged 21.

Thomas b 1811
                    Mary Ann b 1816
                    Marianne 10
                    Catherine 8
                    Christiana 6
                    Ann Wills MIL 72
                    Emma Wills 27 SIL

Mary Ann ? Dies . Thomas then marries her sister Emma

St Giles, Camberwell, Surrey,19/04/1857
                    Thomas Gadd, Widower full age Town Traveller, f Thomas Gadd, Provision Merchant
                    Emma Wills full age, Spinster, father Robert, Wool Merchant
                    Residence Clapton Rd, Peckham

Did Thomas and Ann perhaps move to Islington area between 1851-1856?

Vera
                    Last edited by vera2013; 08-08-18, 15:42.

Comment

That's my family vera. Thomas was a grocer in 1841 and 1851. Mary anne is last seen in 1851. From memory i found some newspaper reports about 1853 of thomas going bankrupt. When he marries emma in 1857, he is listed as a town traveller. Same occupation in 1861, after which he disappears. His widow emma is traceable until her death in 1900. I don't see an issue with thomas being a clerk in 1856. I just can't prove it.

Comment

Looks like a possible candidate for your Mary Ann but how to prove it.

If in Islington, the two youngest children would have been in School but FMP records start ?1870.

I can see a Catherine I Gadd in Islington on 1861 census, aged 18 b 1843 Chichester. She is an apprentice to a Linen Draper. Maybe Ancestry will have an apprentice record.

At the time of Catherine Ellen's m in 1869, Thomas is recorded as deceased.

There is a death for a Thomas Gadd on GRO aged 54 in 1864
                        in the Watford Union. Not sure whether that
                        means the district or the house.

He was buried at St Mary's, Watford, Herts 27/01/1865.

Vera

Comment

it's the only death for mary that remotely fits. there is no indication they ever lived north of the thames at this time.

i haven't seen anything for catherine and an apprenticeship. FMP has those, though i don't know about linen drapers.

i can't see a thomas gadd in hertfordshire in 1861. maybe that's a possible.

Comment

I wonder if Thomas was with Mary Ann between 1851-1856. No children born or died during that period that I can see on GRO.

There is a Jane James in Islington during that period, the wife of an Independent Minister. Wonder if she befriended Mary Ann. But Roberts Yard doesn't fit with that one too well.

The only link to Islington is the possible Catherine in 1861. Your Catherine went on to marry a Draper. Seem to remember at least one of the girls gave Nth of the river as a residence for her marriage. Did you ever find Maryann in 1861?

Here is a thought as no babies, was Thomas perhaps living with this Jane James. Does the dc add anything more?
                            Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 10-08-18, 10:21.

Comment

No, the death cert only gave that information.

Mary and thomas' daughter was marian b.1840, she is my ancestor. She married 1865 at st marylebone, but can't see her on 1861. I think part of the census is missing from london in 1861.

Catherine seems quite close to her maternal family. They are first seen in london 1857 with marriage of thomas gadd and sis in law emma wills. Then her grandmother anne wills nee stacey dies 1859 in camberwell, with catherine as informant.

The grandfathers robert wills and thomas gadd died in chichester during the 1840's. Paternal grandmother christiana mary nee white died 1826.
                              Last edited by kylejustin; 11-08-18, 01:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X