General Query on Burials...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Query on Burials...

I am sure practice varies over time and place, but who might be mostly responsible for giving the age of the deceased for a parish burial, which is then recorded by the officiating clergyman?

I am just looking at someone who on death was aged 56 [awaiting the PDF to find out who the informant was] but on their burial was aged 68! In this case, the burial age was the accurate one - it just prompted the question in my mind.

I always thought it was more likely somebody who knew them, and they dont always know their age.

Comment

Whoever arranged the funeral would give the priest the information, but in the case of a number of my relatives they were baptised, married and buried in the same parish in which case the priest could (and did - as he put cross referenced page numbers in the entries) look back in the registers to check the information.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

that is wonderful Judith, at least you know they are more or less accurate.

Comment

I think it's usually a relative, an executor, maybe an official at the hospital or care home if no-one else is known .............. but it is also the same as information given on the death certificate or anywhere else ...................

it's hearsay, and depends on what the individual told everyone, and this includes family

My grandfather is the prime example ............. he lied about his age on his marriage certificate, told the vicar he was 19 but he was really 17 (grandmother said she was 20 but she was 19)

He told the family that he was born on Christmas Day, so we all had to visit him on that day.

He let everyone assume the year of birth.

Result???

His son filed the death certificate ............. age wrong

His son arranged the engraving of the headstone and information to the burial director ............ age and birth year wrong
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks guys. There's so many potential sources for the information - and so many reasons for errors or accuracies!

Comment

I should add that my grandfather was NOT born on Christmas Day, so he even lied about that!

Most people who lie about their age do at least keep the day the same!

I think the reason was that he was actually born on January 9, but maybe his parents told him it was Dec 25 so they didn't have to give him two presents so close together.

He did have a birth certificate hidden away, found weeks after his death, that I think he had to get when he went overseas in WW1, but the birthday lie by then would have been so "set" that I guess he couldn't, or didn't want to, change. He already had a wife and 3 children by then!
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
              X