Help with words in a 1615 will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with words in a 1615 will

I was helped to locate a will of 1615 on Familysearch by a member of the Sussex Family History Group, although it does not appear to be my husband’s ancestor I am transcribing it for the Group but after several attempts still have some words outstanding which I’d like help with please.

Here’s the link and the words I cannot read:

or doe move any ????? removing the same, or make

...this my ????? of twenty pounds by the yeare, shall determine s????? & be

unto Margarett my wife all those goods & ????????? as the ??????? unto

for payment of mony unto her ?????? , Item my meaning & will is that so long as the mony or goods which I am
    bound to pay her children remaineth ??? me ?? my executor , the profit arising from it shalbe paid towards the breeding
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 30-07-18, 13:55. Reason: images removed due to ads on hosting site

Jill
    Not 100% sure but I think the first query is
    'or doe move any suites concerning the same, or make'
    'this my [?gift] of twenty pounds by the yeare, shall determine, [?surcease] and be'
    Will have a look at the second query now
    regards

Comment

Second query
      'unto Margarett my wife all those goods and such estate as she brought unto'
      'for payment of money unto her children,'
      'children remaineth with me and my executor'
      Regards

Comment

Thankyou so much! You've really got your eye in with that old handwriting.

There seems to have been a dispute in the family as one daughter and her husband would lose their inheritance if they interfered with the property left to the other daughter and her husband, plus he had married a widow shortly before he died and made provision for her children too. He also mentions a relation who rejoiced in the name of Abusenot Ellis!

Comment

Oh dear, clicked on the images and they came up on a PostImage site, surrounded with adverts for "steamy ladies" "drop dead gorgeous asian girls" and cures for baldness :(
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The word in the first extract is written "guiste".

Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              Oh dear, clicked on the images and they came up on a PostImage site, surrounded with adverts for "steamy ladies" "drop dead gorgeous asian girls" and cures for baldness :(
              Yes, I got the same. I tried to block them out of my vision!!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have adblocker plus so you don't have to see these ads. If you go to a site that won't let you in without the ads you just click on the adblocker icon and allow ads for that particular site. Very easy to use and is free.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thing is, I can put up with adverts, hardly ever end up on a site with intrusive ads anyway, but many of the ones on the PostImage site are particularly unpleasant - sexual etc. Most sites, if they need advertising in order to offer a free service, advertise goods and services without offending.
                  I'm not going to mess about with an adblocker just for the one site, instead I will just avoid it in future.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My apologies, there are no ads on the site that I can see so I had no idea that would happen, I shall have to look into other ways of posting images.

Comment

Thankyou for your help Elizabeth, another word & definition new to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X