GRO birth index mother's name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO birth index mother's name

i'm looking at a birth around 1839, and i've noticed in the birth indexes on the GRO website for 1837, that the mother's fulll name, not just the surname is given in the indexes......

has this always been the case? or are they going to put the mother's full name in the indexes?

I think it's just a blip, (unfortunately!). Registrars weren't sure what they had to record in the earliest years of registration, some recorded the time for every birth rather than twin births and presumably compiled their returns to the GRO giving mother's full name.

But I hope I'm wrong! Wouldn't it be great if all births showed mother's full name.

OC

Comment

The new GRO online index is compiled from register entries rather than the old indexes and full name did/does appear on register - albeit in the form Mary Smith, formerly Jones. However I looked at a few of my relatives born around 1837-1839 but couldn't see any mothers' first names on the online GROindex.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith

I tested it by entering Mary Smith 1837 and a few showed up.

OC

Comment

It is probably because the registrar put the full name on the register entry ....so it read "Mary JONES formerly Mary SMITH" , rather then the usual "Mary JONES formerly SMITH".

If you then tell transcribers that the maiden name to record is whatever is written after the word formerly it explains the appearance in the index.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
          X