Mary Desdemona Curry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Desdemona Curry

My biggest “brick wall” in my research here in the U.S. is my great grandmother. I know her name was Mary Desdemona Curry. She was born 17 Aug 1910 in Kaufman County, Texas. She married Joseph Clarence Rutherford. She lived in Rice, Navarro County, TX as well as Tyler, TX and San Antonio, TX. She died 31 Dec 1995.

I have absolutely no information on who her parents were. My line stops cold there. Anything at all on her past would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Hiya and Welcome to the forum

I've had a little look and she is on "Family Tree Now" her name is spelt as DESDEMONIA.....is this an error?
    Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by SplattFA View Post
      My biggest “brick wall” in my research here in the U.S. is my great grandmother. I know her name was Mary Desdemona Curry. She was born 17 Aug 1910 in Kaufman County, Texas. She married Joseph Clarence Rutherford. She lived in Rice, Navarro County, TX as well as Tyler, TX and San Antonio, TX. She died 31 Dec 1995.

I have absolutely no information on who her parents were. My line stops cold there. Anything at all on her past would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
      This birth cert tallies with the DOB you have given. Place of birth is given as Wills Point which is in Van Zandt County, which is the next county east of Kaufman County.
      So if this is correct - unfortunately, a first name for this female child is not recorded - father is J W Curry, farmer, and mother is Nettie Wilson.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 23-07-18, 02:03.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
        Hiya and Welcome to the forum

I've had a little look and she is on "Family Tree Now" her name is spelt as DESDEMONIA.....is this an error?
        I’ve seen it misspelled that way before. Likely the same person. Is there a link or something to that entry you could send me? Any information on her parents? Thank you so much!

Comment

Thank you so much! This is the most promising lead I’ve seen yet!

Comment

It is a birth for a daughter G****, I cant put her name up in case she is still living, born 1929. I PM you the link.

Oh, I cant do this, can you PM me....I forget how this works:o
            Jacky

Comment

I have just been looking so that I could post the link for you Jacky, but I can't get a result for her!

p.s. When you are on the page you need, highlight and copy the link at the top of page - then come here to your message and 'paste'.
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-07-18, 10:19.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Here we go.....

Chrissie, can you delete post 6 for me please - Thanks! - done
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-07-18, 10:35.
                Jacky

Comment

Thanks, Chrissie.

Not sure if you have this......Mary Desdomona Curry Rutherford.....

Last edited by Tilly Mint; 23-07-18, 10:50.
                  Jacky

Comment

The first 6 results here are for her:

Some have images for the birth of various children. Several variant spellings of her middle name! Scroll down a bit further and there is a record for the death of one of the children too.

She was born too late for the 1910 US census, and I can't find her in 1920 when presumably she would have been living with her parents. Nor can I find a marriage for her and JCR, so those two routes to confirm her parents' names are proving elusive.
                    By 1930 she is married and not with parents.

Do you have a copy of her marriage or death cert? Either of these should give her parents' names.
                    On the findagrave link above in post 9, you can click on other family members. There is extensive info re her husband, JCR, and his parents and siblings. Someone called Laura Swiess has uploaded a copy of his death cert. It could be worth contacting Laura to see if she has further info on Mary Des...

Christine

PS Do you know if she had any siblings? If so, what were their names?
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 23-07-18, 13:00.
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Maybe someone else to contact (Gail McKinzie Clark) here she is https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ara-j.-francis on one of MDCs childrens deaths.
                      Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                        It is a birth for a daughter G****, I cant put her name up in case she is still living, born 1929. I PM you the link.

Oh, I cant do this, can you PM me....I forget how this works:o
                        That daughter is my grandmother. She’s still alive, but her memory is not all there and she can’t tell me who her grandparents were on her mother’s side :(

Comment

Just found this

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

Name: Mary D Rutherford
                          [Mary Rutherford]
                          [Mary D Curry]
                          Race: White
                          Birth Date: 17 Aug 1910
                          Birth Place: Wills Point, Texas
                          [Wills Point|]
                          Death Date: 31 Dec 1995
                          Claim Date: 30 Oct 1974
                          Father: J W Curry
                          Mother: Mary E Wright
                          SSN: 465300055
                          Citizenship or Alien Status: U.S. citizen.
                          Type of Claim: Duplicate request; evidence of identity only submitted.
                          Notes: 13 Jan 1982: Name listed as MARY D RUTHERFORD; 25 Oct 1974: Name listed as MARY RUTHERFORD
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                            Just found this

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

Name: Mary D Rutherford
                            [Mary Rutherford]
                            [Mary D Curry]
                            Race: White
                            Birth Date: 17 Aug 1910
                            Birth Place: Wills Point, Texas
                            [Wills Point|]
                            Death Date: 31 Dec 1995
                            Claim Date: 30 Oct 1974
                            Father: J W Curry
                            Mother: Mary E Wright
                            SSN: 465300055
                            Citizenship or Alien Status: U.S. citizen.
                            Type of Claim: Duplicate request; evidence of identity only submitted.
                            Notes: 13 Jan 1982: Name listed as MARY D RUTHERFORD; 25 Oct 1974: Name listed as MARY RUTHERFORD
                            Hmm - that's interesting Elaine. Same DOB, POB and father's name as on the birth cert I have linked to in post 3 above but totally different mother's name. Some random thoughts - perhaps Nettie died when Mary Des was v young and father remarried to a Mary Wright? Perhaps no proper recollection of her biological mother's details, or viewed Mary Wright as her mum? It would help if we could find a family that fits in 1920. I've been searching for Netties in 1920 as 1) it's a bit more unusual and 2) we only have the father's initials, but not got anywhere.
                            Haven't got time at the moment for a different 1920 search...

Christine
                            Researching:

Comment

Am on it!

Just having a problem with mother's name and no idea about what J W is for!
                              Elaine

Comment

Just noting this J W death

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Texas Deaths, 1890-1976
                                Name: J W Curry
                                Event Type: Death
                                Event Date: 21 Oct 1937
                                Event Place: , Van Zandt, Texas, United States
                                Marital Status: Married
                                Birth Date: 18 Jun 1867
                                Birthplace: , Kentucky
                                Father's Name: J T Currie
                                Mother's Name: Mc Brayes

Also

Elaine

Comment

Not convinced that's the right chap looking at

William A is possibly the informant on that death
                                  Elaine

Comment

Seen this......

Curry

Texas Births and Christenings

Name Curry
                                    Gender Female
                                    Birth Date 17 Aug 1910
                                    Birthplace Canton, Van Zandt, Texas
                                    Race White
                                    Father's Name J.W. Curry
                                    Mother's Name Curry
                                    Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                      Just noting this J W death

Texas Deaths, 1890-1976
                                      Event Type: Death
                                      Event Date: 21 Oct 1937
                                      Event Place: , Van Zandt, Texas, United States
                                      Marital Status: Married
                                      Birth Date: 18 Jun 1867
                                      Birthplace: , Kentucky
                                      Father's Name: J T Currie
                                      Mother's Name: Mc Brayes

Also

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F6TC-P8S
                                      Wow! You’re really good! Cross referencing this with other records, I feel very confident this is Mary Desdemona’s father. I was even able to pick the search back up with J T Curry and Elizabeth A McBrayer.

Now that we know the father, I still have no idea which John W Curry’s wife is Mary Desdemona’s mother. :/ any ideas?

Thank you so much! You really are amazing!

Comment

This looks promising

Texas, Select County Marriage Records, 1837-2015

Marriage Date: 31 Oct 1909
                                        Marriage Place: Kaufman, Texas, USA
                                        Spouse: Etta Wright

I'm so glad Christine mentioned the counties in her post!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X