Help following up a marriage, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help following up a marriage, please

On 25 Nov 1817 William Johnson (of Hunmanby East Yorkshire) was married at Marton cum Moxby to Ellen Claxton otp. (Sources FMP - Yorkshire marriages & also Yorkshire marriage BTs.) The bride's surname is very clear on the BTs.
    Can anyone find William & Ellen after this event, please? I'm wanting to chase up Ellen to find out her age and place of birth, as I have a potential Eleanor in mind for the bride.
    IF I'm on the right lines, she was born into a NORTH Yorkshire family in 1790, but her elder brother moved into East Yorkshire and married at Seamer in 1812. (Seamer is the next village to Hunmanby.) There were 3 children born at Seamer before the brother John and family moved to live in a village the other side of Hunmanby. Please don't waste ANY of your time chasing up brother John as I have full details of him and all his many descendants.
    In 1851, a William Claxton was in York, with his second wife and a son George from the first marriage. The census return records that George was born at Hunmanby, although I can find no corresponding baptism Unfortunately George died later that year, so I'm unable to compare with subsequent census returns.
    I'm quite sure that John & William were brothers and I know that amongst other siblings, they had a sister Eleanor.
    Whilst the village of Hunmanby seems to connect all three together, I would like to know more about this particular Mrs William Johnson in order to test out my theory.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-07-18, 16:28.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I have been looking but struggling.
    However on familysearch I have found a baptism for an Ann Johnson in Stillington Yorks on 22 March 1819, parents William and Ellen. According to google it is only a mile from Marton cum Moxby. It may just be another name to follow.
    I will carry on looking about.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks for trying, Bubblebelle. I did see that, BUT I couldn't bring any of that forward in time.:( Unfortunately, William Johnson is a fairly common name. The lady I'm thinking of was born in 1790.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-07-18, 19:24.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes, I have come to a dead end too.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

maybe her death

Helen
          Last name Johnson
          Age 60
          Birth year 1790
          Death year 1850
          Burial year 1850
          Burial date 19 Jul 1850
          Burial place Topcliffe
          County Yorkshire (North Riding)
          Country England
          Archive reference -
          Page 193
          Archive North Yorkshire County Record Office

Comment

On FMP I can see an Ellen Johnson in Easington, E Yorks with Husband William in 1841,1851 and 1861. Ellen b Hull 1795.

There is also a John Johnson aged 50 living in the same household in 1841.

Children Henry, William, Richard, Sarah, Mary, John. However earliest baptism 1826 for Easington.

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 22-07-18, 21:18.

Comment

Thank you for your contribution, Vera. However, I think that is probably the result of a William Johnson & Ellen Coy marriage at Easington in January 1826. Presumably Johnson Coy preceded the marriage.
              The age and place of birth for Ellen are out too, and also for William.

Easington is way out geographically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easing...g_of_Yorkshire
              It is in a rather isolated, localised part of East Yorkshire, see the map on the link above - on the tip of the old man's beard, whilst Hunmanby is just a bit north-west of Flamborough Head, the old man's nose!
              You don't end up at Easington unless you mean to be there.

Thank you for that Val - I saw that earlier today, and then dismissed it because 1841 showed her married to Thomas Johnson, butcher.

Black hole job, I think.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for trying Bubblebelle

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes just looked some more Jay and noted the Johnson Croy, Farm Servant was son. Baptised as Ellen Croy's son who married a William Johnson.
                  Should have checked Wiki first.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 22-07-18, 22:30.

Comment

Quote "You don't end up at Easington unless you mean to be there."

ROTFL! I used to live in East Yorks. That's so, so true!!
                    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      Quote "You don't end up at Easington unless you mean to be there."

ROTFL! I used to live in East Yorks. That's so, so true!!
                      Anne
                      :D:D:D

I could think how else to explain it, Anne.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I lived in Burstwick ..... another place you don't pass through by accident. LOL
                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                        X