Twins born within 10 minutes of each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins born within 10 minutes of each other

I've become obsessed with the life of a great aunt, in 1883 she had twins 10 minutes apart, according to the birth certs.
    I was wondering ,would a doc have been present, and what about if she had needed stitches, they were born at a private address, as far as I can make out.

Dunno, Val. Was this her first pregnancy? I know my SIL was told that if her first was twins, the doctor would do a C-Section. But that's a pretty modern surgery, and twins have been around a long time. And I think delivering at home was pretty much the norm in those days?

The good news is: each twin is on average smaller than the child of a single birth?
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-07-18, 00:29.

Comment

probably would have been a doctor that late in the 19th century, but it might just have been a midwife
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I would have thought it was possible that she didn't even know she was having twins until delivery. No scans etc in those days and a "hands on" examination alone doesn't always reveal the presence of twins. Did both infants survive and mature, Val?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My ex's first wife gave birth to twins at home. The second baby was a surprise and unfortunately did not survive. Only a midwife was present. This was in 1964.

A friend's daughter gave birth to twins on the bathroom floor. She didn't even know she was pregnant, let alone twins. She was 42 and already a mother AND she had recently visited her GP!

OC

Comment

My husband is an identical twin, born just after WW2. His mother went into labour three weeks early and a boy was born. Then they told her there was another baby still to be born and my husband was born 10 minutes later. His mother had no idea that she was expecting twins.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yep, I know someone just the same "Oh, there another one coming Mrs ...." That was in the 1970s!!

I'm nearly certain there would be no doctor present at a birth in 1883 unless they were a wealthy family or she was in hospital. The 10 minute time difference was probably a big guess. I don't suppose they were very much interested in the time in the heat of the moment!

Anne

Comment

Interesting replies thanks, yes her first, and from what I can gather her last pregnancy.
                I too should have had twins, wont go into detail but almost died.
                Now this lady lost both, one at 3 weeks from Atrophy, the other at 4 weeks from Marasmus.
                Bit delicate I know ,but what if she needed stitches?
                Last edited by Guest; 21-07-18, 15:05.

Comment

Val, I'm afraid she would just have had to get on with life as best she could, as do many women today in under-developed countries. Dreadful I know.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

She must have had it really hard, as I am 99% sure she married the William Brown who committed Manslaughter in Dec 1883, and served 18 months.
                    Dont know what happened to her, but he remarried in 1887.

Comment

Working...
                    X