real name cont.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real name cont.

I notice there is a 1920 electoral roll entry for an Isabella Blacklock Allen in Cheshire on FMP (I haven't got an active sub so can't see if it is in Chester, as mentioned in the above article).

Is it possible for someone to look at details for this entry please.
    We've also let our FMP subs. lapse.

Many thanks
    Cath.

Constituency - County of Cheshire, City of Chester division
    Polling district no. 2 parish of Hoole West Ward

70 Lightfoot Street
    Last edited by JudithM; 17-07-18, 10:19.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith.
      Am I correct in thinking women had to be 30 to vote at that time? Isabella was only 27.
      Last edited by Cath RJ; 17-07-18, 10:34.
      Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
        Thanks Judith.
        Am I correct in thinking women had to be 30 to vote at that time? Isabella was only 27.
        Yes since 1918 women aged 30 and over were franchised to vote in parliamentary elections (I believe for many years prior to this date some women had been able to vote in local govt elections if they were property owners) The register shows her qualified as O(wner) for both parliamentary and local govt franchise- perhaps she told a porky about her age.

Update - sorry if I misled people, having looked up the codes O stands for occupational not owner
        Last edited by JudithM; 17-07-18, 11:39.

Comment

Thanks Judith.
          Not sure how she became a property owner. She seems to have been a bit "chorus line" rather than a headliner.
          Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
            Thanks Judith.
            Not sure how she became a property owner. She seems to have been a bit "chorus line" rather than a headliner.
            My mistake - the O on the register stands for Occupational (ie occupying the property) rather than Owner.

Last edited by JudithM; 17-07-18, 12:56.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              Constituency - County of Cheshire, City of Chester division
              Polling district no. 2 parish of Hoole West Ward

70 Lightfoot Street
              Cath,
              That address is a further clincher that Isabella and Beatrice are one and the same. If you do a search on FMP British newspapers for Beatrice Allen in the 1910s and 1920s, especially in The Era, you will see this address for her in the thumbnails - you only need an active sub to view the original image but sometimes you can glean quite a lot from the thumbnails to fuel further searches.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Well done, Christine. You've really got the bit between your teeth.;D

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Many thanks Christine. Looks like proof at last.
                  Cath.

Comment

About the electoral registers. Isabella born 1892, her mother is Isabella Blacklock Allen so could it be her in the 1920 electoral register.
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I'd thought of that too but on further consideration realised she was living in Nottingham at that time.
                      There are so many Isabella Blacklocks in the family we tend to get a bit confused!!
                      Thanks.
                      Cath.

Comment

Working...
                      X