Need help finding a city in Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a city in Russia

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm posting this thread in the right place.

I'm trying to figure out where my great great grandmother, Tekla "Tessie" Hudobenko (maiden name Slaboda/Sloboda) was born. There are a few similarly spelled names listed as her birthplace on different documents:

1. Her Petition for Naturalization lists Lemisehiha, Russia as place of birth.
    2. Her Declaration of Intention lists Lemisehiha, Russia as place of birth and Lemischika, Russia as last foreign residence.
    3. Her Obituary lists Semischika, Russia as place of birth.

Lemisehiha, Russia turns up 0 results on Google. Lemischika, Russia gets corrected to "Lemischka," which appears to be the name of a Russian stem cell researcher. Semischika, Russia gets corrected to Semyachik, Russia, which is a volcano located in eastern Russia. This seems unlikely to be the correct location. Once I tell Google to search only for Semischika, Russia, there are only a handful of results that show up, 2 of which are her obituary, and the rest appear to be spam.

I looked through Wikipedia's list of cities and towns in Russia and their list of renamed cities and towns in Russia, but wasn't able to find cities on either list with similarly spelled names.

Does anyone know of a Russian city (or perhaps something smaller like a village) that could be a match? Or perhaps other places I could search? I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to this whole geneaology thing. (:

I don't know if this will help (from Family Search):

Guide to Russia ancestry, family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

I'll have a look myself.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 11-07-18, 17:27.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I don't know whether this is any help in tracking this place down but here goes: it's a bit convoluted!
      I found a ref to Lemischka on German Wikipedia. https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...en_in_Russland
      The name is just a stub though so no further info. However, from the way the page is organised, it seems to be a river tributary to the river Kerschenez (German spelling) Керженец (Russian).

Der Kerschenez (russisch Керженец) ist ein 290 km langer linker Nebenfluss der Wolga im europäischen Teil Russlands.

Translation The K is an 290 km long left (bank) tributary of the Volga in the European part of Russia.

This is in turn took me here for some English language info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerzhenets_River

I then found this site about the Nizhny Novgorod region - it has contact details so might be worth contacting for more info???

I will leave you to scour through the site and the map there to see if you can zoom/enlarge the map to work back from the river Volga to Kerzhenets (or variant spelling) to the river Lemischka.

I have no idea whether this info points you in the right direction or not - as you say, it could be the name of a tiny hamlet somewhere in the vastness of Russia and all the above could be a wild goose chase...
      Good luck!

Christine

PS Despite my user name I have no Russian ancestry, connections or expertise!
      Last edited by Karamazov; 11-07-18, 18:15.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Lemishchykha in the Ukraine looks like a good bet; the Ukraine was part of Russia until fairly recently.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your replies! I have a lot to look into now.

I thought there was a possibility it could be in the Ukraine. Tekla's husband was actually born in the Ukraine, but the location gets listed as "Russia" on most documents.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            Lemishchykha in the Ukraine looks like a good bet; the Ukraine was part of Russia until fairly recently.
            I think this is far simpler and more likely than my convolutions above!

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog

Part of Ukraine, Cherkasy, Z︠H︡ashkiv
              Print List
              Ukraine, Cherkasy, Z︠H︡ashkiv, Lemishchykha - Church records ( 1 )
              Метрические книги : Лукинская церковь, 1876-1917
              Author: Православная церковь. Лемещиха (Тараща)

Orthodox Church records (births, marriages, deaths) for the Lukinskai︠a︡ Church, Lemeshchikha, Tarashcha, Kiev, Russia; later Lemishchykha, Z︠H︡ashkiv, Cherkasy, Ukraine. Text in Russian.

The film is viewable online but needs translation.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Do you happen to know if she was Jewish? If so, you need to be looking at Jewish records, not Orthodox or Protestant ones.

This would be a good place to start:

Comment

Thank you both for finding more resources!

I spoke with my great aunt (Tekla's great-granddaughter, who she knew while she was still alive) today and she told me that Tekla was not religious. Not sure about her parents, so it's possible she could show up in the Orthodox records.

I have never heard that Tekla was Jewish. I did find a Ukrainian Wikipedia article for Lemishchykha by searching "Леміщиха" (the cyrillic Google maps shows under the village's name). Can't read Ukrainian, but the Google translate version of the page (link) seems to suggest that the village had a very small Jewish population. This leads me to believe that while it's possible she was Jewish, it is unlikely she was.

Comment

Working...
                  X