Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead ends with Wiltshire lines

Hello,

As with many other lines I've run aground with the following individuals and their origins:

John Andrews and Mary Seates, married in 1740 in Bremhill
    John Church and Abigail Cow, married in 1699 in Hilmarton
    William and Anne Curtis, christening children in Longbridge Deverill in the 1780s
    William Goldstone and Elizabeth Herbart, married in 1698 in Hilmarton
    John Hiscocks - married Elizabeth Whatley, daughter of Ambrose Whatley, in Longbridge Deverill in 1773
    James Hitchcock - married Ann Church in Hilmarton in 1755
    William Hobbs and Mary Milliner, married in 1797 in Yatton Keynell
    Thomas King - married Augusta Adlam in Longbridge Deverill in 1761
    Mary Moore - had an illegitimate son in Highway in 1803. Don't know anything about her other than this
    Abel Pope and Betty Richards, married in Bremhill in 1806
    John and Mary Provis, christening children in Bremhill in the 1740s
    Thomas Scott and Ruth George, married in Maddington in 1818
    James and Mary Stevens, christening children in Broad Chalke in the 1790s
    Ambrose Whatley and Elizabeth Crofts, married in Bremhill in 1723
    John Adlam, christening children in Longbridge Deverill in the 1730s

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

There's an awful lot there for people to look at, Adam. You are asking a lot!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You have reached that point in your research where you need to switch off your computer and go to the various county records offices to investigate your ancestors further. Not everything is on the internet unfortunately.

OC

Comment

I agree with oc. There are bound to be parish registers for parishes or years not filmed by findmypast, familysearch or ancestry. And plenty of other records not on the internet.

Bear in mind you will come across brickwalls, especially that far back in research. Sometimes there will be no more records.

Comment

There are records that are not online

There are records that will not be online because they have been lost or destroyed.

We ALL have come to an end with one line or another ................

My 6 or 7 x gt grandfather appears in time to get married in 1741. No-one (and there are possibly hundreds of his descendants looking for him) has ever been able to find him before the marriage. His bride's family has been taken back another 130 years, in the same area.

My own theory is that there is an alien spaceship that has circulated the earth for hundreds of years dropping people off here, picking others up there.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you yourself keep checking back on Family Search, on FMP or ancestry at the library or during the free 2 - 4 day searches that both sites offer, and by GOOGLING.

That's the way I handle my missing people!
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

LOL, Sylvia - how often does the alien spaceship circle Earth?
            Perhaps I can bring it up as an item for discussion at my astronomy group's meetings.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Do you know occupations of any of these people as knowing occupations can help considerably. My OH has one in the Militia in Wiltsire in the late 1700's but he came from Dorset. The CRO will help with Wills/Apprenticeship and Militia Records as well as so many other records which will help your research. Even if you find Willsa and Apprenticeship records online they are often not as complete as the records that you find at the CRO, I have only been able to get back to the late 1500's on a few lines through going to the various CRO's and collecting other information to be able to connect families, and even now I have far more information from those visits than I have from online.

Janet.
              Last edited by Janet; 13-07-18, 11:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                LOL, Sylvia - how often does the alien spaceship circle Earth?
                Perhaps I can bring it up as an item for discussion at my astronomy group's meetings.

Jay
                :D :D

Shall we say roughly once a generation? :D
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                X