Clear All

• Dead ends with Huntingdonshire lines

Hello,

I've hit dead ends with the origins of the following people:

Timothy Burton and Anne Luke, married in Great Gransden in 1726
    William Wright - who married Avery Burton in Great Gransden in 1745

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

P.S. also looking for information from Cambridgeshire: Edward and Elizabeth Goodwin, christening children at St. Botolph's Cambridge in the 1700s; Robert Malt and Catherine Bigg, formerly Chapman, married at St. Peter's Church in Cambridge in 1690

There is very little online for the county - it is a very friendly record office, I've been there myself.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Not sure where Great Cransden is but I have done a lot of research in Huningdonshire and have found many of mine marrying in a Hunts Village and then over the border to Northants to live! It is frustrating at times as I have had to go to both Hunts and Northants. Occasionally I have had to go to Beds as that border is also close to Hunts so look very closely at your village to see how near the border of the next county is. Of course Cambridgeshire has blurred many of the counties as that county has taken in parts of Northants/Hunts and Lincolnshire. A village up to 10 miles from a county border can be frustrating! All mine are just three miles from the Northants border.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 12-07-18, 21:02.

Comment

Great Gransden is on what was then the Cambridgeshire border, but has a Sandy (Bedfordshire) postcode. I haven't encountered too many difficulties up to this point thankfully, probably because my association starts in 1818. But yes, I have experienced what you're talking about with villages near the Suffolk/Cambridgeshire border.

Comment

I have ancestors who came from Great Gransden, although much earlier, so feel your pain:(

As far as I am aware the only places where you can see the registers are the Huntingdonshire Archives, Family History Centres or at the Society of Genealogists in London. The registers cover...

General register (baptisms, marriages, and burials), 1538-1752; Baptisms and burials, 1753-1812; Baptisms, 1813-1876; Banns and marriages, 1754-1812; Marriages, 1813-1837; Burials, 1813-1875; Banns, 1823-1877

As you are probably aware there is also a Little Gransden and again, as far as I know, the only places where you can see the registers are the Huntingdonshire Archives, online at Family History Centres or at the Society of Genealogists in London.....Just in case you find you need it!

Before the LDS films were transferred from Kew to the SoG I had visited the SoG and they had a transcript of the surviving registers for Little Gransden ( no transcript for Great Gransden) where the author noted that 'the first surviving register starts in 1730. The BTs have large gaps and are in bad condition. There are no transcripts for 1601-03, 1631, 1680, 1694, 1697-1701. The transcript for 1643-1661 has had the right hand edge torn off and some entries for 1643 may belong to 1644'.

Chris
            Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 13-07-18, 02:37.
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Oh no, that doesn't sound promising :( I have made contact with the archives. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X