Maud Woodhouse Mack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maud Woodhouse Mack

Maud was born 3 July 1906 at 133 Bury Street, Heigham, Norwich. Her mother was Eliza Mack, kitchen maid, no father’s name. She married Ernest Baker in 1931 as Maud Woodhouse and gave her father’s name as George Woodhouse, occupation butler. In 1939, she’s living in Mitford. I know that she was brought up by her maternal grandmother, but have no other details.

I can’t find her in 1911. There’s a possible Eliza born 1885 but she doesn’t appear with her family in 1911, nor does Maud.

I have FMP rather than Ancestry so, if anybody is successful, would appreciate a reference or details rather than a link.
    Thank you!
    Jenny

Is this by any chance her??????

1911 Census

Name: Maude Annie Mary Mack
    Age in 1911: 6
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
    Relation to Head: Grandchild
    Birth Place: Hounslow, Norfolk
    Civil Parish: Cromer
    County/Island: Norfolk
    Street address: Paston House, Macdonald Road, Cromer, Norfolk
    Registration district: Erpingham
    Registration District Number: 222
    Sub-registration district: Cromer
    ED, institution, or vessel: 3
    Household schedule number: 359
    Piece: 11165

Mary Anne Mack 59 b.ca 1852, Boarding House Keeper
    Mary Elizabeth Mack 34
    Florence Emily Mack 31
    Maude Annie Mary Mack 6
    John Samuel Hancock 61
    Frank Charles Hancock 47
    Maude Louisa Kemp 16
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

hmmmmmm

a Public Tree on ancestry says that Florence Emily is that Maud's mother
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks, Sylvia. I don't think she's the right one. There doesn't seem to be a Hounslow in Norfolk and there's a 1905 birth registration for Maud Mary in Brentford, Middx., really close to Hounslow.
        Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
          Thanks, Sylvia. I don't think she's the right one. There doesn't seem to be a Hounslow in Norfolk and there's a 1905 birth registration for Maud Mary in Brentford, Middx., really close to Hounslow.
          Looking at the image for that census the 'Norfolk' after Hounslow is incorrect as it actually refers to the previous entry but is slightly below the line.

So I can have a look for you can you say who the maternal grandparents are please?

Margaret

Comment

Are you saying you don't have a birth record for Eliza?

Have you got Eliza with her family at all?

Have you found all of them in 1911 in case she is living with one of her relatives but not parents.

Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-07-18, 10:46.

Comment

Perhaps Eliza married before 1911 and they are both listed on the census under the husband's name.

I did see a marriage for a Maud Eliza Mack(e)
              Maud Eliza Mack
              Registration Year: 1908
              Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
              Registration district: St Faith's
              Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
              Inferred County: Norfolk
              Volume: 4b
              Page: 265

but here is only 1 man shown with the same reference against Maud and another woman Martha Lavinia Gentle so it is not clear who married who!

I can't find any of these names in 1911 so have not been able to pair them off.

There is also something odd about the indexing as I found Herbert Hilditch Adams marrying in the same quarter with the same reference number but his wife is Mabel Fisher Pratt and the District is shown as Norwich whereas Maud Eliza and the others are shown as St Faith's, Norwich.

I think you might need an enquiry to the local Register Office to check this all out and if you know your Eliza's father's name you could ask them to check if this could be her.

Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-07-18, 12:17.

Comment

I have a theory – from 1911 – it’s quite complicated lol.

Name: Maud Woodham (looks like possible Woodhouse)
                (Age in 1911: 4
                Estimated Birth Year: abt 1907
                Relation to Head: Granddaughter
                Birth Place: Norwich, Norfolk
                Civil Parish: Haynford and Spixworth
                Sub-registration district: St Faiths
                Rose Mack 59
                James Mack 19
                Eliza Howard 24
                Frank Howard Mack 3
                Florence Howard 2
                Elsie Boast 9
                Dorothy Boast 7
                Maud Woodham 4
                (Woodhouse likely)?

Eliza (Howard/Mack) possible children-
                MACK, MAUD WOODHOUSE -
                GRO Reference: 1906 S Quarter in NORWICH Volume 04B Page 153

MACK, FRANK CECIL HOWARD -
                GRO Reference: 1907 D Quarter in ST FAITHS Volume 04B Page 90

Possible marriage in 1908 of Frank Edward Howard to Maud Eliza Mack ref St Faith’s 4b 265

HOWARD, FLORENCE MACK
                GRO Reference: 1908 D Quarter in ST FAITHS Volume 04B Page 95

Eliza Howard death - Estimated Birth Year about 1887 – July-Sept 1913 aged 26 – St Faith’s – Norfolk 4b 107

The Boast Grand children appear to be from Sophia Jane Arthurton and William Frederick Boast.

It’s a long story but I also believe that this may be Eliza’s Birth – as I believe that mothe Rose was married to a James Mack, who then appears to change to McArthurton, then Arthurton.
                ARTHURTON, ELIZA CATCHPOLE
                GRO Reference: 1886 D Quarter in NORWICH Volume 04B Page 164

I know it’s complicated, but it does sort of make sense:D
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh Margaret - I have just noticed that I think you were looking at the same marriage as me.

Comment

It's taken some finding on FMP, even when I knew I had put in the right things it was saying 0 results!! Finally found it for you though -

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Now I know why I so much prefer Ancestry.

p.s. meant to say that the births of Maud and Frank Cecil both have a blank for MMN.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-07-18, 15:33.

Comment

Oh, and this is the likely marriage I believe of her mother Rose - where the Arthurton then Mack come in -
                      Marriages Mar 1877 - - James Mack Arthurton - Mitford 4b 469 - Rose Catchpole - Mitford 4b 469

Comment

I wish you had Ancestry lol I finally tracked them down on FMP in 1891, before James Mack Arthurton died - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...1%2f0011049028

And this is the baptism for the one I think may be Eliza -

Name - Eliza Artherton - Female - Baptism Date 17 Nov 1886 - Baptism Place St Stephen, Norwich, Norfolk, England - Father James Artherton - Mother Rose Artherton - FHL Film Number 1471611

For those only on Ancestry - 1911 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...50/edit/record

1901 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...12468681/facts

1891 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...12468681/facts

SORRY - I promise I have done now!! Will be interested to see what you all think.
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-07-18, 16:15.

Comment

Thank you ladies, I appreciate your help. You've come up with some very useful information. The marriage of Maud Eliza and the 1911 Maud Woodham look very promising!

I have no idea who Eliza's parents were and haven't found anything other than what I've given above, but I think you've found the answer.

Chrissie, my Ancestry subscription ran out about 2 months ago and I decided not to renew (prefer FMP and I can access Ancestry at the library). If they have another good offer, I'll probably take it up.

Edit to say I was able to access the Ancestry links, despite my subscription having expired.
                          Last edited by jenoco; 06-07-18, 16:44. Reason: update
                          Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                            Thank you ladies, I appreciate your help. You've come up with some very useful information. The marriage of Maud Eliza and the 1911 Maud Woodham look very promising!

I have no idea who Eliza's parents were and haven't found anything other than what I've given above, but I think you've found the answer.

Chrissie, my Ancestry subscription ran out about 2 months ago and I decided not to renew (prefer FMP and I can access Ancestry at the library). If they have another good offer, I'll probably take it up.

Edit to say I was able to access the Ancestry links, despite my subscription having expired.
                            I imagine the free access weekend has started on Ancestry Jenny So if you want to save them now is the time.

Comment

I think you definitely cracked it Chrissie. In 1851, James Arterton is living with his grandfather who has three daughters. One of the daughters, Jane, marries James Mack in 1854 and they are together in 1861 with James Mack (Arterton) who is listed as son.

This is my friend's tree - she'll be really pleased that the mystery has been solved. Thank you again! I'll also take advantage of the Ancestry free access this weekend.
                              Jenny

Comment

You are very welcome Jenny I enjoyed doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X