Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FamilySearch film

Hello,

In my research I always like to log sources. In this case, I was on FamilySearch, and found the christening of William Netherwood in Shepreth, Cambs, in 1710. It gives the film number as something totally nonsensical - 'Q942.59 S2 V26S'. Apparently, many Shepreth records have been indexed like this. Does anyone know which film these records are actually taken from?

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
    Hello,

In my research I always like to log sources. In this case, I was on FamilySearch, and found the christening of William Netherwood in Shepreth, Cambs, in 1710. It gives the film number as something totally nonsensical - 'Q942.59 S2 V26S'. Apparently, many Shepreth records have been indexed like this. Does anyone know which film these records are actually taken from?

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
    I'm sure the reference number of the film makes perfect sense to the cataloguing department of the LDS church!
    There is a facility on familysearch.org for sending e-mails requesting help - I'm sure one of the helpers will be able to answer your query.
    As I can't find the record you're referring to, I am assuming the record is a transcript rather than an image - so for the time being, can you not record the source as transcript, familysearch.org, secondary source, to be amended at a later date?

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-07-18, 20:21.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sounds like what we used to know as "submitted records" - to be treated with extreme caution! Since they changed everything, I no longer know how to judge whether something is likely to be accurate or a complete flight of fancy.

OC

Comment

Jay,

I think I will have to :( I will email them in the meantime to see if what OC said is correct. I'm sure it is, but just in case I'll send them an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Sounds like what we used to know as "submitted records" - to be treated with extreme caution! Since they changed everything, I no longer know how to judge whether something is likely to be accurate or a complete flight of fancy.

OC
          Oh yes,submitted records, OC!
          I suppose another possibility is what they used to call something like "bulk extraction," when a variety of people were sent random pieces of film for churches within a designated county.
          It sometimes seems like they release a series of images which are not indexed, but you can scroll through a complete register or parish if you wish, much as we would have done with the real thing at the record office decades ago. Then, the transcribers get to work and index them all, but when they've finished, general open access on the site seems to be withdrawn.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have a look here,

you can then use the catalogue to search for areas you are interested in, I put in Shepreth...

you just need to create an account to view the records

From the card catalogue I selected this one

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

which has a Film number but the DGS number corresponds to the film you need to view, select this page and put Cambridge in the search box

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

DON'T use the search box but instead scroll down to browse through....and click open that link. This will bring up the all the DGS number's and you want 7676701
            as shown in the card catalogue

Click on that number link...7676701 and you will find him on image number 132 which you just need to enter below the heading England, Cambridgeshire B...'s Transcripts, 1599-1860

Might help with your other searches
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Elaine,

Thanks for all of that! I've made a note of that all.

Comment

Elaine

Oh, it was so much easier with dear old Hugh Wallis! I used to find so many records which hadn't been indexed.

OC

Comment

Oh yes, remember that one well
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                  X