William Everitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Everitt

William was my G Grandfather. I can't find his death. Have tried a couple of certs but always wrong.

He was born 1873 in Nottingham, married Clara Brammer Whiles. Had numerous children,

I have just found Clara's burial in Carlton Cemetery about 4 miles from where they live and in the same grave is Thomas William Everitt bur 19 Mar 1949 aged 73. I have William up to 1949 on electoral records. Can't find a death for Thomas W Everitt in that qtr anywhere. Have found a John W Everitt dying Mar qtr 1949 in Nottingham.

First of all, could this be William, if not why is a complete stranger of the same surname buried with Clara, if not William do you think that John W and Thomas W are the same person?

Sorry the cut and past hasn't come out very well. If you need a better look, it in on Carlton Cemetery Nottingham and very easy to search.

Thanks

Surname

Forenames

Titles

Cemetery

Section

Grave Number

Date of Death

Age Measure

Date of Burial

Everitt

Thomas William
    Mr
    Carlton Cemetery

Section A A2
    5 73 Years 19/03/1949

Everitt

Clara

Carlton Cemetery

Section A A2
    5 49 Years 06/07/1928
    und Clara burial
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Seems obvious to me! I have a number of graves where a name is "wrong" in as much as it was not the first name I was expecting to find and a number of death certs where the first name was not what I was expecting. A number of reasons, usually the informant didn't know the real name having only heard the deceased called something else, or DID know the real name but no one else did.

A friend's father died while she was abroad. The home manager registered his death as Frederick because he was called Fred by everyone who knew him. His real name was Arthur!

OC

Comment

Thanks O C.

I thought the same but then I couldn't find Thomas William dying and only John W in Nottingham so really not sure now.

The person in the house with him was his 2nd wifes daughter so as you say she perhaps didn't know his name but she must have know about the grave or someone did.

do I send for this John W Everitt cert?
      Lin

Comment

I agree with OC, reckon thats him, you could order the pdf which is only £6 .
        Last edited by Guest; 03-07-18, 20:39.

Comment

Thanks, will do it tomorrow.

Just needed reassurance
          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Seems obvious to me! I have a number of graves where a name is "wrong" in as much as it was not the first name I was expecting to find and a number of death certs where the first name was not what I was expecting. A number of reasons, usually the informant didn't know the real name having only heard the deceased called something else, or DID know the real name but no one else did.

A friend's father died while she was abroad. The home manager registered his death as Frederick because he was called Fred by everyone who knew him. His real name was Arthur!

OC
            Over the years, I've been caught out by a few Freds - they turned out to be Alfreds, not Fredericks.
            And countless others whom I'd always known by their second forename.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 03-07-18, 20:48.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I haven't had time to look for him in the census, but there is a birth of a Thomas William Fisher in 1873 in Nottingham. Could he have been a relative of some kind?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie but looking for Everitt and Fisher is my married name and they have been in Ilkeston for ever and a day.

Thanks Jay. He has always been know as William on Census certs etc but we do not know who registered the death and they could have got it wrong
                Lin

Comment

Sorry Lin, I meant Thomas William Everitt - I don't know where my brain was:o

Comment

Hi Chrissie

I must admit I didn't look at the Thomas you gave, but have now traced him and he was single in 1939 and died in 1963. Couldn't find him in my tree at all but thanks. Have ordered the John William Everitt cert, it is due on the 10th.
                    Lin

Comment

You could be in luck Lin. Just had a quick look and there isn't a birth for John William Everitt (or even Everett if mis-spelling) birth that fits the death in Nottingham. Only Coventry and Spalding. So looks like it could have been a mistake by whoever registered it.

Comment

Fingers crossed!!
                        Lin

Comment

Just to let you all know. It was the right certificate.

Registered by his daughter and the address I knew for her. He had moved from the last sighting I had of him but retired Lace Dyer which fitted.

How would I ever have found him. Nowhere was he called John and he had a brother John anyway. Also buried as Thomas William!!

Thank you everyone.

Just one last comment. Nowhere near as much fun waiting for a PDF as it used to be waiting for the postman and snatching the mail out of his hand. Poor postie!!
                          Lin

Comment

Two of my postmen used to recognise the envelopes I was waiting for and so would knock on the door to hand them over in person, rather than just popping them through the letter box! They were always so pleased to share in my delight.
                            Living in a very small place, the posties get to know some of us very well (and our habits) - if there's a parcel for me, apparently one postie sometimes checks the bar in the village pub where he always goes in to use the loo. (He delivers to the pub before
                            he gets to my house.)
                            In case anyone's wondering, I don't hang out at the village pub every day ;D It's the only pub in the village, so I try to pop up once a week for lunch and a drink just to show them a little support. So many villages have lost their pubs, or they only open part time - I would hate to see ours go the same way.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                              Just to let you all know. It was the right certificate.

Registered by his daughter and the address I knew for her. He had moved from the last sighting I had of him but retired Lace Dyer which fitted.

How would I ever have found him. Nowhere was he called John and he had a brother John anyway. Also buried as Thomas William!!

Thank you everyone.

Just one last comment. Nowhere near as much fun waiting for a PDF as it used to be waiting for the postman and snatching the mail out of his hand. Poor postie!!
                              Yes I know that feeling.. I was curious as to why I couldn't find Samuel Shelton after 1891 census in Hucknall. there only seemed one likely and he was in Beeston in 1901. for YEARS I thought this was him UNTIL I was perusing the burial books and found a Samuel BEESON being buried, Now I know that his mums MN was Beeson/Beeston. ordered the pdf.. and it was him, so, problem solved. Just need to find his brother William now!.. [not easy as he was a G/Guard and in London]
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Janet, our postman has been coming for years and when I worked he can to pick the post up there in the evening and would bring me any parcels or letters that needed signing for. So good to have a friendly postman.

Julie, Glad you found your Samuel, I had loads of trouble with my Whiles, a few I have posted on here for advice but when I took a sub out for deceased on line because they had most of the Nottingham Cemeteries there I found most of them. Just Matilda to find.
                                Lin

Comment

Working...
                                X