Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rothley burial

Hello,

Looking for the burial of John Underwood. He married Jane Waldrom in Rothley in 1797. He wasn't alive by 1841, but his wife lived to the amazing age of 98, dying in Rothley in 1867. Can anyone find a burial for John? I don't have a christening either. I've already searched FamilySearch and FreeREG.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

Where is Rothley?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If it's the one I know of, it's in Leicestershire, between Leicester and Loughborough. There's a station on the Great Central steam railway.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, sorry. I keep on forgetting counties! It is in Leicestershire.

Comment

There are a lot of John Underwoods.

I assume you have no idea how old he was????

Are you sure he was dead by 1841, and not just living apart from his wife?
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Jane was always recorded as a widow, and I would presume he was born between 1760 and 1780, based off of his marriage. As I say, I don't have a christening.

Comment

Found it! Buried in 1847. I made a mistake in my notes.

Comment

They are here in 1941 Ancestry, in Rothley, which would be one to look up when you go to the library - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                He is an Ag Lab and they are both 70 - with another John age 30 (possible son) and a William aged 3.

His possible death is registration UNDERWOOD, JOHN age 75 - GRO Reference: 1847 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 23
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Possible birth for young William - 3 in 1941 - UNDERWOOD, WILLIAM - mmn BREWIN - GRO Reference: 1837 S Quarter in MOUNTSORREL Volume 15 Page 28. Mountsorrel in an alternative name for Barrow on Soar.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There are two John Underwoods for 1847. Just to make sure you have the correct one Adam:
                    UNDERWOOD, JOHN age 25
                    GRO Reference: 1847 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 19
                    UNDERWOOD, JOHN age 75
                    GRO Reference: 1847 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 23

Where did you find the burial Adam?
                    As far as I can see Rothley burials are only available from https://www.parishchest.com/ a pay to view site - according to Family Search

Is this them on the 1841? census.https://www.familysearch.org/search/...enname%3Ajane~

John Underwood 70
                    Jane Underwood 70
                    John Underwood 30
                    William Underwood 3
                    Civil Parish: Rothley
                    Hundred: West Goscote
                    County/Island: Leicestershire
                    Reg Dist: Barrow Upon Soar

Edit:
                    Was adding other bits so crossed posted Chrissie
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-07-18, 09:13.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Have you used the Family Search Wiki Adam? Good for finding other available sites online that may be useful to you.

Guide to England ancestry, family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Click on the map for a particular county.
                      Kat

Comment

Apart from at libraries you can also search FMP and Ancestry for free at your local LDS Family History Centre. You can search for your nearest one here:
                        Find a FamilySearch center or affiliate location. Get access to personalized help, technology, and exclusive resources to aid your family history journey.
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-07-18, 09:51.
                        Kat

Comment

Working...
                        X