Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield burials

Hello,

Looking for the burials of John and Sarah Corby, who were christening children in Enfield in the 1760s, as well as those for Thomas and Margaret Corby, who were christening children in Enfield in the 1790s.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

Also looking for William and Mary Goddard, who were christening children in Edmonton in the 1780s.

Comment

So as people don't waste time going through resources you've already used and had no luck, where have you searched so far, Adam?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

FamilySearch and FreeREG.

Comment

Adam .............

could you please also add COUNTY to your posts. Not all of us are knowledgeable about all areas of the UK
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sorry, both areas are in what was Middlesex.

Comment

"Looking for the burials of John and Sarah Corby, who were christening children in Enfield in the 1760s, as well as those for Thomas and Margaret Corby, who were christening children in Enfield in the 1790s."

"Also looking for William and Mary Goddard, who were christening children in Edmonton in the 1780s. "

In which churches did these baptisms take place? If you supply the names of the parishes, then perhaps we can help you track down information about relevant burial records.
              Have you searched online to see what possible records have survived and are available for this London borough?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The churches were St. Andrew's, Enfield, and All Saints, Edmonton. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks.

Comment

Some descriptive info here on the Enfield churchyard
                  Waymarking.com is a way to mark unique locations on the planet and give them a voice. While GPS technology allows us to pinpoint any location on the planet, mark the location, and share it with others, Waymarking is the toolset for categorizing and adding unique information for that location.

It seems surviving records are with the London Metropolitan Archives, which are on Ancestry. As others have already advised on some of your other threads, access to Ancestry is usually free at local libraries - it certainly is in the two very small towns local to me. As the register events lacked any sort of detail at that time, it would be very hard for a third party to pinpoint precisely the events you seek. I suggest you make a list of the events you are seeking and then go to your local library, armed with a flash drive/memory stick and do some searches of the LMA archives on Ancestry. You would then be able to download all images for events for your name of interest and take them home and peruse them at leisure. It is your tree, and it is only you who knows all the facts recorded for the people on it, how well documented they are and which events are still open-ended. You may well discover that images for other people of surnames you are researching later come in useful for adding to your tree, OR for elimination purposes.
                  I realise library hours have been cut nationwide, but I believe all are open at some time on some Saturdays to meet the needs of people in full-time work or study. An alternative venue for accessing Ancestry for free is at the local county record office.
                  If you have a lot of research where Ancestry has records of use, then perhaps you could ask for the cost of a short term sub as a birthday or Christmas present. Choose a time when you will have plenty of spare time, and then "hammer" your membership - also look out for and make use of the occasional free weekends. Many members on here make use of the latter two options.

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-06-18, 11:50.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I can see baptisms for John and Sarah but 1780 - 1799. Possible d for Sarah d 1840 b 1751 and John d 1800. Both St Andrew, Enfield. Can't see any baps for 1760s

Comment

some St Andrew's records are online (meaning, the images are online) at familysearch. With this link, look at the films listed that have a camera on the far right. IF there's NO key, you can view those records online:

Comment

Thomas Corby
                        Burial 11/09/1831
                        St Andrews Enfield
                        Aged 80 b 1751
                        Labourer
                        Abode South Street

William Goddard
                        Burial 18/01/1836
                        All Saints, Edmonton
                        Aged 87 b 1749
                        Abode Alms House

Mary Goodwin
                        Burial 08/11/1829
                        All Saints, Edmonton
                        Aged 80 b 1749
                        Abode Marsh Street

Vera

Comment

hi

I have had a quick look around, All Saints Churchyard but the majority of gravestones/memorials are now so badly decayed and totally unreadable.

A list was published many years ago of all the inscriptions that remained and can be purchased through genfair I think.

If your William goddard (as vera has posted) was living in one of our alms houses, (we have 5 attached to the church grounds) it is possible that he was connected in some way to All Saints, as the houses are still used by members of our church community, who have worshipped here all their lives and have become in need -if your willm Goddard was buried in the churchyard, he could be on the list from the 1980's

The church website lists the available records that LMA hold
                          Genealogy at All Saints Church in Edmonton, North London, United Kingdom. Anglican Church on Church Street, N9, in the London Borough of Enfield

Hope its of some use.

lorraine
                          Lorraine

Comment

Thanks for all of that!

Comment

May I have the dates for John and Sarah Corby at St. Andrew's Enfield from 1800 and 1840?

Comment

Ancestry London C/E Baptisms, Marriages & Burials 1538-1812
                                John Corby
                                Burial 13/05/1800
                                St Andrew, Enfield

Sarah Corby
                                Age 89 b 1751
                                Burial 05/04/1840
                                St Andrew, Enfield
                                Abode Ponders End

Vera

Comment

Thanks!

Comment