Mave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mave

I am new to the forum but wondered if anyone can help with my search for Robert Ransom or Ransome
    He was christened on 22/3/1827 at Driffield. Father shown as William Ransom, Mother: Mary
    He married Ann Cook on 3/2/1852 at Providence Chapel, Great Driffield.
    Ann was born at Hutton Cranswick in 1834
    On the 1861 census it shows Ann as a pauper at the District Workhouse, Bootham, Clifton, York with her
    children:-
    Ada (Sofia) born before she was married & baptised at Hutton Cranswick on 28/4/1851
    Catherine - christened 18/12/1853 at Catton, Nr. York
    Sarah Ann - born 27/4/1856 but not registered until 21/10/1856, Robert was shown as Master Joiner living in Holtby (Sub District: Dunnington)
    I cannot find Robert Ransom/Ransome on any census after 1851 but cannot find his death either

I can see Ann as widow on 1881. 11 Washington St, Hutton Cranswick with daughter Sarah Ann and son George W T (occ C Miller)

I cannot see them on 1871 at the moment.

RANSOM, GEORGE WILLIAM THOMPSON mmn COOK
    GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in DRIFFIELD Volume 09D Page 250
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Is it possible that the marriage just broke up and they separated, or Robert just abandoned them?

Marriages broke up then just as often as they do now! The wives often called themselves widows afterwards, occasionally as spinsters if there were no children. The husbands called themselves bachelors or widowers.

They could stay in the same area, or move to another part of the county/country

You might consider looking for Robert's death much later, or even for a re-marriage for him .......... that would of course be bigamous, as divorce was all but impossible for any but the extremely wealthy.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

1871census

There is an Ann Ransome, Married aged 37 born Hutton Cranswick in the household of

William Otley Jarrett b 1826,Solicitor,New Road, Gt Driffield

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 21-06-18, 19:30.

Comment

Interestingly she is still married, or so she says.
          Kat

Comment

I can't see a suitable death for Robert either. He's skived off somewhere - have you checked out passenger lists?
            Kat

Comment

Kat, I don't think there's much in the way of passenger lists available online 1851 - 1890, when the FMP collection kicks in.

I'm wondering where the children were in 1871 - the older ones were probably at work, but George would only have been 8/9. I suppose he could have been in some institution/the workhouse and recorded by initials only ????

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will do some more research on the children.
                I have been to the Treasure House in Beverley and they couldn't come up with anything for Robert
                I have seen a copy of the birth certificate for George William Thompson Ransome but it does not show the name of the father
                Mave

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  Kat, I don't think there's much in the way of passenger lists available online 1851 - 1890, when the FMP collection kicks in.

I'm wondering where the children were in 1871 - the older ones were probably at work, but George would only have been 8/9. I suppose he could have been in some institution/the workhouse and recorded by initials only ????

Jay

There is an incorrectly transcribed 1871 census on Ancestry merging families according to a correction.

John Thomas Francis Head 31 b Ireland Oil Miller
                  Ann wife 24 b Driffield
                  Mary 2 Dau
                  Over the page
                  Hannah Norris Mother 80 b Kirkburn. This is g/mother of
                  Catherine Speck dau 17 Married b Stanford Bridge. This is Catherine Ransom.
                  Stephen Speck sil married 21 Catherine's husband
                  William Ransom Son 8 b Driffield. Looks like George W T

Living Washington St Gt Driffield

Mave is the Hannah Ransom aged 0 in the 1861 Ann's child. Can't see a birth or death?

Wonder if he headed North to the shipyards?

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 22-06-18, 16:30.

Comment

Well done, Vera - what a find!
                    Stamford bridge was in Catton parish.
                    I see in 1881 census Catherine is Kate.

Mar Driffield Reg Dist Q1 1871 Catherine Ransom & Stephen SpEEk (FreeBMD) Can anyone find further details of the marriage?

I know Mave has a Speck connection a couple of decades later, so perhaps there was some intermarriage between two members of the extended family. Perhaps we are killing two birds with one stone.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-06-18, 22:50.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

GEO index - Rosanna Speck 1873 & Charles Speck 1879 born Driffield Dist, mmn Ransom

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Could this be daughter Sarah in 1871?? Recorded as Susan Ranson, born Stamford Bridge? (Sarah was bp in the parish of Catton, which included the village of Stamford Bridge.) I can't find any 1861 or bp reference for this Susan Ranson - Could Sarahann have been heard as Susanne???

I know this doesn't help with the mystery of Robert,:( but nice to fill in on the rest of the family.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-06-18, 09:49.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                          There is an incorrectly transcribed 1871 census on Ancestry merging families according to a correction.

John Thomas Francis Head 31 b Ireland Oil Miller
                          Ann wife 24 b Driffield
                          Mary 2 Dau
                          Over the page
                          Hannah Norris Mother 80 b Kirkburn. This is g/mother of
                          Catherine Speck dau 17 Married b Stanford Bridge. This is Catherine Ransom.
                          Stephen Speck sil married 21 Catherine's husband
                          William Ransom Son 8 b Driffield. Looks like George W T

Living Washington St Gt Driffield

Mave is the Hannah Ransom aged 0 in the 1861 Ann's child. Can't see a birth or death?

Wonder if he headed North to the shipyards?

Vera
                          I have viewed the infant Hannah Ransome in the 1861 return for Clifton workhouse and would say yes, I think Hannah WAS the daughter of Ann.
                          Newspaper reports of the visitation of the workhouse in April 1861 report on the condition of an Ann Ransome, pauper, in the imbecile ward and the request made by the Guardians that she should be examined by the medical officer, and that if lunacy was confirmed, then perhaps she should be removed to the asylum. Further later reports state that Ann was deemed to be suffering from puerpal fever and was making satisfactory progress.
                          I can only see ONE Ann Ransom(e) as an inmate in 1861, so it seems that the newspaper accounts refer to Mave's ancestress Ann Ransom. Puerpal fever follows childbirth, so I would think that Hannah was Ann's child.

Quite frightening that if Ann's illness hadn't coincided with the annual visitation by Guardians (a procedure to check that public money was being spent appropriately) then possibly she would have been classified as a lunatic and shipped off to the asylum, never to be heard of again.
                          I wonder if Ann went into the workhouse hospital to have her baby because she was on her own, or whether she had the baby and then became ill and all the family members were taken into the workhouse?? In which case, that would seem to indicate that her husband probably was not on the scene, otherwise he would have been expected to provide for the older children.
                          Sounds as though Ann was in a newly purpose built workhouse

The link has an interesting plan and illustrations. York city archives could be worth a visit, although it sounds as though the main bulk of surviving records is from a later date.

We know that Ann came through this awful experience and went on to lead a normal life.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm too late to edit the above post - bp Holtby 17 March 1861; Ann Mary d/o Ann Ransome of Holtby. (I think this could well have been baby Hannah)
                            Perhaps the post birth circumstances indicate why we can't find a birth registration - Ann would have been far too poorly to care about formalities.
                            bur 1 Sep 1861 at Cranswick, Mary Ann Ransome, an infant. (Might this be Ann's child? Did Ann recover and she and her children come out of the workhouse and go back to Cranswick to some of her relations?)

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Now that's a find Jay. Going to read it again. Read the bit about the animals head which was putrefying nicely for the pot! They are cataloguing the admissions currently at York. Maybe Mave could contact them. Can't remember the name offhand to see if Ann's admission gives any clues re Robert's whereabouts. Possible Hannah not his child so he was off after Sarah's birth.

Wondered if he went to NZ as I think bro Henry did but then doubting he would have escaped documentation as Henry can be seen from cradle to grave on Ancestry.

Mave it was nice to see Ann out of the w/house working, with the children back home with Gran Norris previously Cook.

Vera.

Comment

Records being catalogued following a grant given.

Explore provides the public library and archives service for the city of York. We run 15 libraries including York Explore – our flagship library and home of the City Archive – 5 Reading Cafes, a mobile library, and a home library service. We employ 80+ people. Explore inspires everyone to challenge their imagination, explore their potential and connect with each other, supporting and enriching our communities.

Vera
                                Last edited by vera2013; 23-06-18, 14:47.

Comment

Here is Grandma Norris in 1861

And a marriage ref on FreeBMD:
                                  Hannah Cook & William Norris mar Sep qtr 1857 Driffield Reg Dist
                                  Suspect it may have been at the registry office, as nothing is showing up on Yorkshire marriages, nor on Yorkshire BMD

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just picked up all the information and I will study it all. I am so pleased Ann did get out of the workhouse, I have always wondered why her circumstances took her there. Thank you for all your help, Jay has come up with all sorts of references. Vera's link to brother Henry is interesting as well. I'm now going to go over my research and try to piece things together.
                                    I'll be back !!
                                    Mave

Comment

Working...
                                    X