• Show
Clear All

• Died of

anybody read this pleaseocc.JPG

Apoplexy, certified by JW Sanders MRCS

Comment

oh really , thanks for that

Comment

I think that was quite a common "died of" at one time ....... I usually associate it visions with angry old men waving their stick at someone (family or not), and then keeling over!

i might have read too many melodramatic stories in my youth :D

I think it might be what we now call a stroke.
        Last edited by Sylvia C; 16-06-18, 23:46.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia sounds reasonable to me

Comment

Agree with Jill - apoplexy. Here is a slightly fuller historical description from Wikipedia.

From the late 14th to the late 19th century,[3] apoplexy referred to any sudden death that began with a sudden loss of consciousness, especially one in which the victim died within a matter of seconds after losing consciousness. The word apoplexy was sometimes used to refer to the symptom of sudden loss of consciousness immediately preceding death.[citation needed] Ruptured aortic aneurysms, and even heart attacks and strokes were referred to as apoplexy in the past, because before the advent of medical science, there was limited ability to differentiate abnormal conditions and diseased states.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-06-18, 10:53.

Comment

Interesting ,would there not be a post-mortem, or was it that common to die suddenly.

Comment

As the death was certified by a doctor there would be no need for a post mortem as the cause of death was clear. ( Even if that cause was wrong, haha).

OC

Comment

Probably not if died at home and of a good age. How old was the deceased?
                  Have you checked to see there is not a second death certificate for him? Reason I mention it is that my 4xGGF Harrison died 1869 as a result of injuries received a few weeks before when a pit roof collapsed on him. A neighbour dutifully went off and registered the death that day. Three weeks later, there was a post mortem and the Registrar registered his death after receiving the coroner’s report. Both certificates still exist in the GRO index and I have copies. I went “local” and phoned the Registrar there wondering if they could oblige me by letting me know which one of the two Daniel Harrisons close in number in the GRO index was my relation.
                  Strictly, she ought not to have done what she did but went off to get the volumes and discovered that although the injuries which led to his death were described differently, they were one and the same person. How she got round it, was letting me make a telephone order for one of the certificates and “bringing my attention” to the existence of another certificate that I might like to add to my order.
                  Check your quarter and the one after it just in case

Comment

Sorry, do you mean a post mortem or an inquest? Two different things.

OC

Comment

I was thinking about other sudden deaths OC, I have one found dead in the street, would have thought that would have warranted an inquest of some kind.

Comment

Val, I have several found dead in fields, lol, but as long as it looked like natural causes there wouldn't be an inquest. Before 1870 you didn't even have to have a doctor's death certificate in order to register a death, which of course left the system wide open to abuse.

OC

Comment

I think if I remember rightly, you had one found dead in a field with her baby ?did you get the death cert and if so did it tell you much.

Comment

Oh, you remember well! But that was in 1789, so no death cert. The burial register said it all:

Jane Green singlewoman of Gawsworth, found dead in a field, of childbirth. Unshriven. Also her bastard stillborn infant.

She was 19 years old.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Sorry, do you mean a post mortem or an inquest? Two different things.

OC
                              Now you have me there, I will have to check that out.

Comment

or even an autopsy Galloway;) terrible way to die OC, poor girl.

Comment

Working...
                                X