Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with name changes?

Hi

I have a lot of French names in my tree which have changed throughout the years or be Anglicised (i.e Normandie and Normandy, or Brittany and De Bretagne), how do people deal with that? Do you just go with what they are initially called? Im just concerned about duplicating people because it doesn't initially appear they are the same person
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I use an old FTM and have standardised the family surname in the main box. I then use the aka (facts) and note the variant and the date and where found and the source.

Comment

perfect thanks
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Depends if the spelling changed around a set time and stayed that way. Sometimes i would put different spellings for different generations to remind myself of more unusual or archaic spellings.

Comment

For internet "fishing" trees I put the name exactly as I found it in the hope that it will attract someone who doesn't know what I know, but who knows something I don't know!

OC

Comment

lol OC exactly what I do

Comment

In my family the traditional spelling was McK..... My great-grandfather chose to spell himself Mack..... and that is how the spelling has continued, apart from one of his sons who chose to stick with the original spelling.
              A different scenario arises with my wife's female ancestors. In two successive generations the woman married 3 times (husbands dying young) and had issue of all 3 marriages. The eldest daughter is shown under the current surname in successive censuses until she marries. How she chose to be addressed is unknown.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X