Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone having problems with missing GRO entries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone having problems with missing GRO entries?

Below is the report of a missing entry I posted May last year and result of GRO investigation. I had found it on FreeBMD.

Report Type: Missing entry in the birth index Date Submitted: 17 May 2017 21:39
    Name: William Marshall Mother's Maiden Surname: ?
    Details: Found on FreeBMD
    Current Status: Investigated – Online Index entry updated GRO Index Reference: 1864 M West Ham 4a 14

I went back to Freebmd and the date is 1862
    and on GRO:
    MARSHALL, WILLIAM STEVENS
    GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in WEST HAM UNION Volume 04A Page 14

Am I going bonkers?

I have another one to send off tonight as it 'appears to be missing'. Really need to know a MMN.

Edit: Can a mod change title to read GRO - thanks
    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 08-06-18, 23:36.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Guess whoever typed the report re missing entry just hit a 4 instead of a 2 as they have updated the index for the correct year 1862.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

You should certainly report any errors you think are there, but the indexing of the entries on the GRO index (from the copy register entries, not the printed indexes) uses slightly different indexing rules to those used when the printed indexes were created. Those printed indexes are known to have many errors and omissions themselves, so for both that reason, and the use of new rules mean that it is quite possible for the two indexes to (quite correctly) give different results. This especially applies to births registered by joint informants.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
      X