Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning from Ontario Canada

Hello:

I am a retired/disabled person from Ontario Canada and I have taken up genealogy as a hobby after attending a family reunion more than a few years ago. I walked away from it for a little bit and I am getting back into it.

Most if not all of the generation ahead of me are gone now or I have lost contact with, so I have to rely on other sources for my information. Most if my research now is focusing on my fathers side of the family and I am finding it tough sledding. I am sure that there would be a wealth of information in the following documents:
    *my fathers birth certificate from 1922
    * Grandfather and grandmothers marriage certificate(if there is one there seems to be a family legend that my grand father and grandmother were not married) date unknown
    *Grandmothers death certificate(around 1975-1980)
    *grandfathers death certificate(in 1961 I have been to his grave)

All of these events took place in Ontario Canada between 1900 and 1980.

I have not been able to find any information of Ancestry.com of any of the other usual sites so I am kind of stymied here.

Any gentle nudging in the right direction where to try next would be appreciated

Hello Donald, and welcome to the forum.

I think the birth and death certificates you seek are too recent, date wise, for the details of the events they record to be available online. Also, probably, the marriage of your grandparents.
    I think you will need to access online indexes of Ontario vital events and then apply for copies of the relevant certificates.
    With regards to the earliest event you are searching for, your grandparents' possible marriage, someone on the forum may be able to help you if you supply a little more information, like names, place or county and give some indication of a possible time frame.

We also have a Family Tree Forum reference library, top left tab, under the forum name and logo, which has lots of tips and also links to lots of possible search sites. Click on the tab, then from the drop down menu select world index and then Canada.
    I suggest you give this a whirl.

I'm sure that if you supply a bit more information about a specific event you need help with (bearing in mind we do not post names or details of living persons as this would be in breach of forum rules) then some of the clever people on here may be able to help you.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi, Donald, and welcome to FTF!
      There are several online, free resources that may help you for the early years of the 1900s.
      You can register for a free account with familysearch.org. They have several Ontario-specific records online or their transcriptions, including Ontario births up to 1912, and marriages maybe up to 1927 - click "show all 24 records"
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

findagrave.com has many Ontario grave sites, as does cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ and canadianheadstones.com/home

Ontario has a very active Genealogy Society, with local chapters. They have over the years culled BMD events from local newspapers and put them in collections. You may be able to visit a local library or Family History Center to use them.

Canadian 1921 census is available thru Ancestry and ???. 1911 census is available for free thru FamilySearch. Again, a library or FHC may have free access to the 1921.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
      X