Clandestine Marriage Query 1752

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clandestine Marriage Query 1752

My fifth x great grandparents Thomas Lukyn and Ann Newton, of New Windsor, Berkshire, were married at St George's chapel, Mayfair, Westminster on the 6th May 1752. Next to their entry is an upright cross with dotted ends, the same being next to many entries. I've tried looking for the meaning of this symbol through the register but cannot find any explanation for it. Does anyone know what it means?

This is the only entry for the marriage that I found:

There isn't anything strange about this that I can see.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I am not a subscriber to Find My Past so I cannot see what you are referring to. My copy of the original entry from Ancestry shows the cross I mentioned on the Lukyn's and many other marriages. https://wafflesquirt.wordpress.com/lukyn

Comment

Gill, that is a different image to the FMP one, which doesn't have the cross. I'm pretty certain we had the same query some time ago but I can't remember the answer, if there was one!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I can see the Ancestry image with cross and wonder if the cross refers to those clandestine marriages performed in the Mayfair Chapel as opposed to other possible venues favoured by young couples (according to Ancestry) ie The Fleet Prison and the Kings Bench Prison where Clerics in debt were willing to perform.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            I can see the Ancestry image with cross and wonder if the cross refers to those clandestine marriages performed in the Mayfair Chapel as opposed to other possible venues favoured by young couples (according to Ancestry) ie The Fleet Prison and the Kings Bench Prison where Clerics in debt were willing to perform.

Vera
            No don't think that's it. Samuel Lee's record which didn't have a cross is recorded in the Mayfair Register also.

Vera

Comment

Working...
            X