Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Ancestors

Hello all

Wondering if anyone can help me go back further with my Irish ancestors.

My great-great-great grandfather, Patrick Decoursey, was born circa 1845 in Goleen, Cork, Ireland according to the 1891 census. On his marriage certificate to his second wife, his father is named as Dennis Decoursey. If anyone can find a birth record for him I would be very grateful.

Patrick married Catherine Holland, also of Goleen, Cork, Ireland, but I do not know whether they married in England or in Ireland. There is a marriage record on Ancestry for Catherine WELLYAN marrying a Patrick CORSEY in Poplar in Q4 1869 which I think could be them, with Wellyan being perhaps a misinterpretation of Holland?? Knowing who the father for Patrick is on this certificate would confirm this.

On the 1911 census, Patrick is listed as 'married' however I cannot find a third marriage for him. There is a marriage of a Patrick Corsey to a Mary Ann Dronie in the 1890s but the father of Patrick on this is listed as Michael Decoursey, so can't be Patrick. Can anyone help?

Any information on the ancestors of Patrick or Catherine would be very much appreciated as I have limited knowledge of Irish genealogy resources.

Goleen is in the RC parish of Schull/Skull. I can’t see Patrick’s baptism but I do see what appear to be 3 siblings. Mary Coursey was baptised 8.3.1838; Margaret 22.11.1835 & Den on 2.11.1845 all in the RC parish of Schull West. Parents were Denis Coursey & Bess or Bett Allen.

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Just for info

Patrick De corsey m Jane Johnson in Bethnal Green 1877.

Jane de corsey died Poplar 1887 aged 43

1881 They are together in 8 Goodliffe St (as in 1891 census)

Patrick Corsey 38 Gen Lab b ? Plymouth
      Jane Corsey 36 b Ware, Herts
      Charles " 14 b Ware, Herts
      Mary Corsey 11 b Poplar
      Nellie Corsey 10 b "
      Kate Corsey 8 b "

Maria Johnson Widow 48 Poplar
      John Johnson Son 9 Poplar

In 1871 Patrick, Catherine and Dennis b 1870 d 1873 in Poplar. Dennis b Kent. Will look for a Kent m also.

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-18, 06:45.

Comment

[QUOTE=frank1412;262

On the 1911 census, Patrick is listed as 'married' however I cannot find a third marriage for him. There is a marriage of a Patrick Corsey to a Mary Ann Dronie in the 1890s but the father of Patrick on this is listed as Michael Decoursey, so can't be Patrick. Can anyone help?

[/QUOTE]

This could be your Patrick. The residence at time of marriage is Goodliffe St as in previous census. Age fits and he is a Widower and Labourer

Which certificate records Dennis as father?

Vera

Comment

I believe the 1877 marriage certificate records Dennis Decoursey as the father of Patrick

Comment

If it's any help this is the two marriages. Though on the 1893 one he gives his father as Michael Corsey - Labourer and on the 1877 one as Dennis Coursey deceased -

1877 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

1893 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              If it's any help this is the two marriages. Though on the 1893 one he gives his father as Michael Corsey - Labourer and on the 1877 one as Dennis Coursey deceased -

1877 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

1893 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
              I can't view the two images you have posted, Chrissie, although I get as far as the London Church of England marriages heading before ancestry asks me to pay up.

However, this raises a question. From Elwyn's post 2 mentioning possible siblings, it seems the family were Roman Catholic. Not unheard of for people to convert, of course, although I've usually seen it the other way round...

Frank - do you know what religion Patrick was?

Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 01-06-18, 09:40.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Just to say Christine that I can see both those images that Chrissie posted. I have Ancestry.co.uk Premium.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Christine - I don’t know for sure, but I am a descendant of his daughter Nellie and her children were baptised with the Church of England, but were not raised devoutly religious, so conversion is a possibility.

There was another Decoursey family in Poplar headed by a Daniel Decoursey who was also from Cork. Daniel had several children including a son called Patrick born about 1855. I think these Decourseys must be related to mine somehow, but it is only Irish parish records that would help determine this.

Comment

Thank you for this, I’ve just had a look through these records. Did you manage to find a marriage for Dennis and Bett?

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      Just to say Christine that I can see both those images that Chrissie posted. I have Ancestry.co.uk Premium.
                      I just have an FMP sub currently, hence ancestry asking me for cash!
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by frank1412 View Post
                        Thank you for this, I’ve just had a look through these records. Did you manage to find a marriage for Dennis and Bett?
                        They married 2 Feb 1833. Record here: https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy...3D%26event%3DM

Scroll down the page and click on the brown hyperlink to view the original image. On the marriage her name is Bess.

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 01-06-18, 11:58.
                        Researching:

Comment

Have found the marriage record now, thank you.

Did anyone have any luck with a birth record for Catherine Holland, circa 1845??

Comment

Frank it seems your Patrick was admitted to the Workhouse on many occasions later in life, last one being 1910/11 when he was transferred to the sick asylum (infirmary). One admission gives him as a Stevedore admitted from Poplar, aged 45 religion RC.
                            Can see a Mary also l910.

Sorry missed last couple of posts.

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-18, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                              Frank it seems your Patrick was admitted to the Workhouse on many occasions later in life, last one being 1910/11 when he was transferred to the sick asylum (infirmary). One admission gives him as a Stevedore admitted from Poplar, aged 45 religion RC.
                              Can see a Mary also l910.

Sorry missed last couple of posts.

Vera
                              That should be b 1845 not aged 45.

Vera

Comment

Vera
                                How old is the Mary listed?

Could be his third wife Mary or perhaps his daughter who was also called Mary who I have been unable to trace after 1891.

Comment

Mary listed as b 1846. Married. Occupation ?Canvasmaker.
                                  Admitted from Poplar.

Are you referring to the Mary who was Polly in 1891. Think she maybe Margaret!

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-18, 15:59.

Comment

Mary listed as b 1846. Married. Occupation ?Canvasmaker.
                                    Admitted from Poplar.

Are you referring to the Mary who was Polly in 1891. Think she maybe Margaret!

Vera
                                    I am referring to the Mary who was Polly in 1891. Have been unable to find a birth, marriage or death record for her. Her birthplace is listed twice as Poplar but I can’t find anything.

What leads you to think she was a Margaret?

Comment

Vera
                                      This is very interesting. Is there a way of finding out why he was admitted to the workhouse?

Comment

Polly is a pet name for Margaret.

There is a Margaret DeCourcey m to George Robert Hammond 1899 Poplar.
                                        Margaret is m in 1901, living in Poplar with child George 7 mnths.

Think Patrick and Catherine only registered Kate (Catherine)in 1875 as they would have to I think by Law at that time.

1911 with George Snr 45 b Limehouse, Roofer, George 11 b Poplar and Earnest 4 b Poplar, in Poplar.
                                        Margaret transcribed Margurite 40 b Poplar.

Can't find a Parish Register to confirm.

Looks like your Patrick had many admissions. Will look at Creed Register for more info.

Vera
                                        Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-18, 16:51.

Comment

Working...
                                        X