1939 register alteration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register alteration

I have a query on an alteration on this register.
    Annie Edith Bowen a nurse living in Liverpool has had her surname crossed out and Huxley put in. However she did not marry until 1940 and became Huxley
    Any ideas please

Regards
    Ann

The Register was kept updated while registration was in force, and i was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities any change of name up to 1952. The NHS then used it and so you may find later updates until about 1991.
    Last edited by JudithM; 28-05-18, 10:41.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

From the National Archives:
      "The Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, when it was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities of any change of name or address. This ended in 1952, but since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record keeping was discontinued.

Changes of name for any reason were recorded; in practice this was mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage or re-marriage, but also includes changes of name for any other reason, such as by deed poll.

The majority of these name changes appear in the indexes so you can search for a person using either their name in 1939 or any subsequent name."

Edit: Oh snap Judith, didn't see you there!
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-05-18, 10:47.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you very much. That makes sense now

Regards Ann

Comment

Working...
        X