Loris (Louis) Mendelssohn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loris (Louis) Mendelssohn

I have been gathering information on Ella Blume's second husband Loris Mendelssohn. But have run out of options, he seems to have just disappeared.

Information I have on him:

Born 28 July 1898 in Johannesburg Gauteng, South Africa, father Louis Mendelssohn, a Railway Buyer. (Again I cannot find where I got this info!!! )
    I think he may have arrived in Southampton after a trip with Ella, and possibly a daughter on the 5th Jun 1922, they married on the 26th June though in London, his occupation is 'Independent Means' Ella was formerly Horsford.

Ella died in Feb 1939 and she was living at 29 Ebury Street Westminster, and her husband is listed as Louis Mendelssohn occupation a 'Tennis Professional' but I cannot find him at all in any newspapers.

I have his death as 9th Nov 1969 but stupidly I did not list source and cannot think where I found this info. There is no will that I can find.

Also on the Arrival in 1922 the daughter only has her initial or 'S' and there is no note of her anywhere except on 17th June 1932 there is a departure for Natal of an S Mendelssohn aged 12 travelling on her own. I did wonder if she was in fact going to live with her father who may have left the country! But this is just speculation as I have no idea who she actually is.

I did find a Louis Mendelssohn in Ohio who was born in England in 1899 with a wife and children he is a Salesman!

Many thanks

Mrs Ella Mendelssohn aged 36 (unaccompanied by husband) and Miss Sheila Mendelssohn aged 2, last address in UK - Essex House Frinton on Sea, are listed on the passenger list of the ship Ulysses sailing from Glasgow to CapeTown on 31 December 1921 but both entries are crossed out so presumably they didn't actually travel.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

On 6th January 1922 Mrs Mendelssohn aged 33, left Southampton for Cape Town accompanied by Miss P M Arnold aged 15. Again of Essex House Frinton on Sea. Think Arnold was the name your Ella married Louis (Loris) under?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Louis Mendelssohn was recruited to Royal Flying Corp 11 June 1917 as 3rd Class Air Mechanic at South Farnborough, England. Service No 84454. Occupation: Com Agent.
        Served 150 days and discharged 7 Nov 1917 to take up temporary Commission as 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) on the General List for duty with RFC.
        NOK was father: Louis Mendelssohn, Box 4186 Jo'burg, Transvaal, SA
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think this must be his record after he became a 2nd Lieutenant but can only be viewed at Kew.

2/Lieutenant Loris MENDELSSOHN Royal Flying Corps.
          Order in advance Request a copy
          Reference: WO 339/114457
          Description:
          2/Lieutenant Loris MENDELSSOHN
          Royal Flying Corps.
          Date: [1914-1922]
          Held by: The National Archives, Kew
          Former reference in its original department: 215619
          Legal status: Public Record(s)
          Closure status: Open Document, Open Description
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

He's mentioned here.....

Jacky

Comment

Tennis professional in the 1930's - at that time, all the big tennis championships were for amateurs (unpaid for playing) only, so "professional" probably meant he earned his living through tennis. This could have been coaching at a tennis club (local, county, country) or taking private pupils. I wouldn't necessarily expect to have read about tennis coaches in the newspapers, unless they had previously had great success and made a name for themselves by winning some of the big national tournaments, before taking up coaching top amateur players.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-05-18, 16:58.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I did find a piece in the paper and with regards to Ella's first marriage and mentioning Loris

06 November 1920 - Nottingham Journal - Nottingham

it's reported in a few papers, this was the first one. He had gone back to South Africa by this time.
                She is granted a divorce
                Last edited by Elaine; 21-05-18, 22:43.
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Can only find a listing in the newspaper

The London Gazette 13 November 1917

.to be temp."Capt., with precedence next below J. S.Mellor. 22nd Aug. 1917:Hrs. ? Lt. H. J. Bigge, from h. -p. 'list, is restd.supern. to esta...
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                    I did find a piece in the paper and with regards to Ella's first marriage and mentioning Loris

06 November 1920 - Nottingham Journal - Nottingham

it's reported in a few papers, this was the first one. He had gone back to South Africa by this time.
                    She is granted a divorce

Hi Elaine this is perfect thank you so much. I thought I had searched the papers for Loris Mendelssohn but obviously I had not it is amazing.

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue

Didn't want to put too much before you saw it as it was quite a read!
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X