Is there a 1939 census for Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a 1939 census for Ireland

or will there be ? would be great if there was.

It's not a census ....... the 1939 Register was a listing of people, address, ages, occupations ect that could be used for issuing ID cards.

There are lots of entries that are still blacked on the Register as people are presumed to be still alive.

I understand there was a separate Scottish 1939 Register, but have no idea whether one was carried out in in either part of Ireland.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

You would think northern ireland would have had one, as england, scotland and wales did. But the republic of ireland may not have. I don't even know about ireland in WWII. Would be interesting.

Comment

1. What are these records? The 1939 Register provides a snapshot of the civilian population of England and Wales just after the outbreak of the Second World War. As the 1931 census for England and Wales was destroyed by fire during the Second World War and no census was taken in 1941, the Register provides […]

2.1 The civilian population

These records do include the civilian populations of:
        • England
        • Wales

These records do not include the civilian populations of:
        • the Channel Islands
        • the Isle of Man
        • Scotland (for information relating to records of individuals in Scotland at the time of the 1939 Register please contact National Records of Scotland)

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit....-register.html - NI

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statis...ficial-extract - Scotland
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I should have said that Sylvia, not a census.
          Thanks everyone and Caroline for those links.

Comment

There’s no 1939 register for the Republic of Ireland. Being neutral during the war it didn’t need to compile that information. There is a 1939 register for Northern Ireland which, as has been mentioned already, is held by PRONI in Belfast. It’s not on-line and you need to contact them and make an FOI request for information from it. It is not indexed so if you don’t have an address you can’t search it.

There was a census in both parts of Ireland in 1926. The portion for the Republic of Ireland exists but is closed until 2026. The portion for Northern Ireland has disappeared. No-one knows what happened to it, though destruction as a result of bombing in WW2 appears to be the most likely explanation.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
            X