Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Henry Summers and Edith Katherine Donnelly

married 23 aug 1889, wild dog valley in elliston, south australia
    thomas henry summers (c.1858-1931 adelaide) to edith katherine donnelly (1861 gumeracha-1942 adelaide). i don't have a copy of the record, but father listed as thomas henry summers (no occuptions or mother's names on s.a. records). edith was the daughter of samuel donnelly (c.1836-1865 adelaide. police trooper.) and martha matilda piggott (c.1834-1867 gumeracha). newspaper clippings of the marriage state thomas henry summers senior was deceased, and from axminster, somerset.

i know nothing of thomas henry summers prior to 1889. there are plenty of thomas summers born in somerset, but not a thomas henry in bmd or census.

as for samuel donnelly and martha matilda piggott; they married 18 mar 1860 at gumeracha, south australia. fathers: robert donnelly and george piggott. neither seem to be born in australia, and i can't locate anything on their origins. i suspect samuel was irish, and newspaper clippings state he was a police trooper.

can anybody help?

What was Thomas jnr occupation? just wondered if it could help the search
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

The transcript of the marriage is on FMP

Took place on 12 August 1889 at the Res of Thomas Winstanley Wild Dog Gully, Flinders.

Neither Thomas nor Edith have second names on the transcript. Nor is a second name given for father Thomas Summers

No occupations given for anyone
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 10-05-18, 01:01.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I don't know what either thomas did. Obviously getting the records would give the grooms' occupation, but they are quite expensive. And don't record occupations for fathers. I can't find anything on thomas junior that mentions his occupation (have marriage announcement and a funeral announcement.)

The wittnesses on the record could help too. Maybe even suggest who raised edith, as both parents died when she was young. And at this stage i don't know if her parents had relatives in australia.

Comment

Working...
        X