1939 register now available on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register now available on Ancestry

I came across some postings (on Facebook and Twitter) about it, but it took a while to find the actual link!! It doesn't appear yet in the new records or under categories or when I search for the specific people!
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

While I was experimenting, I found that my grandmother had been given a new middle name - Flat!!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/ca...ock&name_x=s_s - a glance at the image shows the mistake!! Her brother Frank lived next door - he's not called Flat either.
    Caroline
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
      While I was experimenting, I found that my grandmother had been given a new middle name - Flat!!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/ca...ock&name_x=s_s - a glance at the image shows the mistake!! Her brother Frank lived next door - he's not called Flat either.
      Must all be related to the hero of that children's book - Flat Stanley
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for this Caroline, have bookmarked it till they admit on their front page they have it.

Comment

I know that this has been in the pipeline for a while ( FMPs exclusive deal having expired), but not seen any official announcement as yet - I suspect they are having a "soft launch" to avoid their systems, which have been quite flaky recently, being overloaded.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            Must all be related to the hero of that children's book - Flat Stanley
            One of the best books for reading aloud to a class!!
            Caroline

Comment

My favourite is Stanley Bagshawe and the twenty two ton whale :D

Comment

Been waiting for this - just found my Grandmother and according to the entry she was a small Street Shopkeeper. However it has been transcribed as a Small Stout Shopkeeper!
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Been waiting for this - just found my Grandmother and according to the entry she was a small Street Shopkeeper. However it has been transcribed as a Small Stout Shopkeeper!
                  10.gif
                  Caroline

Comment

Have ancestry done their own transcription or is it the same as on FMP?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I think it may be different - just looking at one for my grandparents, Thomas L and Kathleen M De Fraine, FMP have the corrected DOB, Ancestry don't. Ancestry have a better transcription of the surname for Kathleen. But FMP separate the prefix and transcribe the upper case D. (Which is wrong anyway - we use de.)
                      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        Priceless :D:D:D

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I am curious how they have their 'other' names. Has somebody gone through the registers and added married names or names otherwise known by..

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                            I am curious how they have their 'other' names. Has somebody gone through the registers and added married names or names otherwise known by..
                            Yes the register was used by the National Health service for several decades after 1948 so changes of name were often noted.
                            Last edited by JudithM; 08-05-18, 16:38. Reason: corrected date of NHS
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

omg - I won't get anything else done today!

Comment

I'll be really interested to see if it is easier to 'hit' the right person with the different search. I've made extensive use of the 1939 on FMP and grown used to it but there are some howling transcription errors on there, many of which are perfectly clear from the image. Sadly as far as I can see FMP ignored the errors I reported until I just gave up doing so. Ancestry are usually better at showing what someone else thought (even if that's also wrong!)
                                Anne

Comment

its a bit strange though sa my dad and his sister were in neighbouring houses and they had his name as Smith/Pearson ,(pearson on his birth certificate, Smith the name he used to get married) but his sister is Smith and above her it has her married name Reeves, no mention of Pearson....

I also found an interesting snippet about my grandfather. I always knew that his father in law lived with them as I remember him being there when we visited but I didnt realise that they had actually moved in with his parents-in laws as they were the housekeeper and groundsman before my grandfather and his wife, they took over when they retired I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                    Like Caroline I don't think they have used FMP transcriptions because my grandfather is now Raynard instead of Raymond.
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The images certainly seem clearer than on FMP, although I really only looked at one page

I still can't find my uncle born 1894 and his wife born 1900, along with all 6 of their children .............. uncle, aunt and 5 kids emigrated to the US. The parents and 3 children died out there. I found them on FMP by painstakingly searching one area of the town and finding 8 blacked out names where I knew they were living in the late 1940s and 1950s when I used to visit them with Mum & Dad.

But uncle and aunt definitely would be much older than 100 if still alive!

My brother died just before the 1991 cut off when the NHS stopped updating the records, so I can see him. I had not yet been born
                                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Having played on it for a few hours, I would say that Ancestry have done their own transcriptions based on the redacted images (presumably supplied by the National Archives). This is very useful, as for privacy reasons FMP had to do their transcriptions from the un-redacted images column-by-column, without the ability to check that the columns were correctly "aligned" with each other. This led to many cases in the FMP index where the columns are "out of step", resulting in a birthdate being assigned to the adjacent name in the register, or to an unrelated individual appearing in the wrong family, etc. Ancestry don't seem to have had this constraint, and I've managed to find quite a few people already on there who I couldn't find on FMP.

Unlike FMP, the Ancestry index doesn't show the Piece number & Item number directly - however, the info is still available, in the website address bar at the top of your browser when you are viewing an image. For example (I've bolded the relevant part):

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti.../tna_r39_2433_2433c_019?pid=3208260...

If you take this info (Piece number 2433C and Item number 019 in the above example) you can plug this back into the FMP advanced search, and this will give you FMP's index version of the same page! They are often quite different, though you can often see where FMP went wrong.

Of course, the Ancestry index is up to their usual (somewhat flaky) standard, as is hilariously shown by Ozgirl's post above - but at least we now have two chances of finding those elusive people rather than one, which has to be a good thing.

It remains to be seen however whether Ancestry update their index annually, as FMP do to include persons reaching the 100-year rule. If Ancestry haven't had access to the (currently) redacted data then it is hard to see how they will be able to do this.

Comment

Working...
                                        X